Question

Hey when ever the new borns umbilical cord falls out is there still a Lil thing in there belly button? And how do u prevent it by getting infected

aimem

Asked by aimem at 12:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Kids' Health

• They cut the cords pretty close, so there's just a little scabby thing on the baby's belly. I was worried about it myself, imagining a piece of hose sticking out or something, but it was very tiny. I didn't even notice when my daughter's stump fell off. The chances of infection are pretty low because by the time the stump drops off, the baby's body is ready to lose it. So there's hardly any irritation, no blood, nothing traumatic. It's like when a cut on your finger heals and the last of the scab just disappears, leaving new skin behind.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2013