How long can a lease be if you decide to rent a house?

The most I heard is 13 months...what's the average of a lease?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Money & Work

• It can be any length of time the owner or manager and the tenant agree to. Month to month, or annual which is very common, or even multi-year leases. Those are more rare, but not unheard of.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• It can be anything that is agreed upon in the Lease Agreement. Generally a year is average. I've rented for six months as well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• 12 months is the average. Some will go as long as 18 months. Most do not like to do anything but the standard 12 months. Less costs them more in the turn over. More costs them in possible price increases.
    In the end it is whatever you lessor and lessee agrees to.

The company I worked for bought a grouping of buildings. One tenant was very good friends with the original owner. When he decided to put it on the market he gave her the option to sign a lease for 10 years. Since we bought it we had to honor her original lease. I had no problem with the lady as she paid her rent on time ( about $250.00) below the rates we charged as the leases ran out) She only asked for things to be repaired. She was pleasant to me. The other manager couldn't stand her because she "was cheating us out of our rightful rent" LOL Like it was money that we would get . That still cracks me up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I know a family who has leased the same house for over 15 years.

We have had the same tenants in our rental since 2009, and their lease will expire in 2015.

It all depends on what the landlord and the tenant are willing to agree to.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Most that I've seen are either month to month, or for 1 year. But they can be for any amount of time that both landlord and tenant agree to.

I'd be hesitant to sign one for multiple years, though, at least before I've lived there a year or so and know the house is in decent shape and I can deal with the landlord.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• lease agreements are generally for 1 year for a residential property. You can negotiate a longer lease if you know that you will still be in the area. I would make sure there is an early termination clause (with conditions of course) if you were going to negotiate a lease longer than a year. Most people don't want to construct a lease longer than a year because if property values increase they can raise the rent. Short term leases (6-9 months) usually come at a premium and will cost more monthly.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Depends on the state laws. On average for a residential lease it is 12 months but in Pennsylvania it can be as long as both parties like. Keep in mind though that a lease means the landlord can't raise the rent for the period of time the lease is for unless the lease states otherwise so most landlords are hesitant to do longer than a year. We do month to month tenancies due to high turnover in our area but for those who stay a year we increase rent after 12 months to keep up with cost of living increases (typically they are paying less than an equivalent apartment though after a year).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• The longest I have seen is 2 years, but average where I live is anywhere from 6-18 months, with a year being standard.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2013