OMG, the KKK is coming out of hiding, and you will never guess where they will be hold a rally at....

Katie Kyros:  A Ku Klux Klan group has now been granted permission to hold a rally at Gettysburg National Military Park on Taneytown Road.

The National Park Service says it preserves historic resources, making them “available to all Americans, even those whose views are contrary to the majority of the American public.”

The group is called the Confederate White Knights and it’s based in Maryland.  Their leader says they’re planning a small demonstration demanding proof of President Obama’s citizenship. The rally will be held on October 5th.

“I’m sure we’ll have counter-protestors, I’m not sure what they’re trying to protest other than we’re the Klan,” says Richard Preston, the group’s leader.

Meanwhile, the Adams County Unity Coalition will hold a unity event at the same time, at the Lutheran Seminary. It will feature music and kids’ activities.

“I think a lot of people are feeling the same way, that this isn’t something that we want in Gettysburg, this isn’t what Gettysburg is about,” says Ashley Andyshak Hayes of the Gettysburg YWCA.

The park says additional law enforcement will be there to keep visitors and demonstrators safe.

A Maryland-based Ku Klux Klan chapter has been granted a special permit to assemble at the Gettysburg National Military Park, according to park officials .

In a written statement Thursday, the National Park Service said the permit was issued to the Confederate White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, which plans to  rally in Gettysburg on Oct. 5

The demonstration will be held from 1-4 p.m. on  the north lawn of Gen. George Mead’s headquarters on Taneytown Road, the release states.

“The group requested the permit under the first amendment of the United States Constitution which grants all citizens the rights to freedom of speech,” according to the news release. “As custodians of land owned by the American people, the National Park Service has a responsibility to make that land available for exercising those rights.”

The news release stated additional law enforcement agencies will assist the park to make certain that demonstrators, visitors, and staff experience a safe atmosphere on the day of the event.

http://fox43.com/local-news/stories/kkk-set-for-weekend-rally-in-gettysburg/#axzz2gRSEMact

Hmmm I wonder how things will go there. And I am wondering why they are now just coming out after so long being under the radar so to speak. Things may get pretty interesting.....

Thoughts?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Who knows the why? I suppose they may feel the political climate is better for their cause in some way.
    I do not like what they stand for.
    I do think that they have the same rights as any one else and they should be allowed their peaceful rally. demonstration.
    If you do not want to participate then, exercise your rights and don't go.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Will they still be able to have their little do with the parks shut down?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• When were they hiding?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• The KKK disgusts me. But free speech is for everyone, even those who hold unpopular or unsavory views. I hope everything stays peaceful and the media doesn't make a circus out of the event. The less public attention haters get for their cause, whatever their problem is, the better.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Well they've never been in hiding. They marched in the parades where we used to live lol.
    Why do people act so shocked that the klan still exists.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• The Klan never went away. It did lose it's popularity for awhile but it's still there just not as visible but still dangerous in many ways. I'm hoping with the shutdown that it shuts down their rally.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• As long as they're having a peaceful rally that isn't at the funeral of a fallen soldier, I don't see the problem. I don't have to agree with their views in order to believe they have just as much right to free speech as I do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• if no one reacts, no one freaks out and counter-protests, the KKK gains nothing with their rally other than sharing the hate they already have.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I agree with okmanders.
    As long as their rally is peaceful as well.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Everyone is being so generous and gracious and allowing the Klan to speak. wow. I put them in the same category as the Westboro Baptist church andHitler's Nazis.. They represent hate,racism, prejudice and violence. They make me sick.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2013