How will the Government Shut Down affect you?

800,00 Federal employees have 4 hours tomorrow to clean their desks and go home.
Federal Courts Closed
Food Stamps and Hud Housing
National Guard
Stock Market down

Add to the list if you like.

This is a sad day in America!

KTElite

Asked by KTElite at 2:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not sure how the GI Bill works, YET...He's a student at the college.

Presumably, this late in the year, they've already paid his tuition. If they haven't, the bill will go past due until they do, but this isn't going to last that long. As soon as it inconveniences the congressmen personally (and with all non-essential city services in DC shut down, that won't take long at all - garbage pick up anyone?) they'll stop it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Food stamps, social security, medicare and unemployment will not be impacted at all. The programs that matter will be WIC and headstart.

Hardest hit will be NASA and military contractors.

On the upside, last time this happened, pretty much everyone in congress who helped lost their jobs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• So all the Dems who said it did not matter what was proposed, they would reject it?

OK
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• List- what is shut down and what is not.    - also includes what it will affect.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Military is still getting paid. That was the one thing keeping me up at night.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I'm not aware of any way that it will directly affect me but my friend who works at the CDC is furloughed.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• nothing directly. but it does greatly affect how i will be voting and how ive spent my morning (writing angry emails to the dipshits that "represent" me).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Of course the Office of Ethics is considered non-vital...

That list should include all the contract people, though. They outnumber all the ones on that list.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• My husband is Active duty so I was pretty worried. We will still get paid, but if this crap goes past the 7th our mid month pay will be delayed, so that's worrying me.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Well my kids still have not got the passports we need to go to Mexico, we sent them over 5 weeks ago, I am hoping they are in transit, the passport office is closed:(
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2013