How do i calm her down in her tantrums?

My daughter has always been pretty level headeduntil the last few weeks. I was in a car accident when i was pregnant with her, and have just recently been cleared to work again.. She is now 16 mos old. for the last few weeks she has gone to a in home day care a few days a week. But this week and the end of last week she has been throwing these fits when she gets even the slightest bit tired. I mean 20-30 min upset freaking out. I walk away, or try and make her deal with whatever she is flipping out about but she gets herself into a panic attack anyone have any suggestions>

earthymomma103

Asked by earthymomma103 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try implementing a cry into your pillow tactic and anytime she starts with the tantrum before bed have her cry into her pillow. This worked well for my sis and I when we were kids and works great for my niece.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Don't walk away from her and don't add drama. When she throws a tantrum let her and just stay beside her and be patient.....if you feel the need to say something just state facts and nothing else like "I know you wanted to stay longer.." (or whatever the problem is but dont talk about her feelings as you might make her feel like you dont understand if you get me) or something.

When she is done with her fit hold your arms out to let her come cuddle you. If she wants to.

If you dont make a big deal about it but are there for her she will feel validated in her feelings and get over whatever it is bothering her easily. As time goes on the tantrums will go down because she will have a better hold and grasp of dealing with her feelings.

This works well with my son. If he gets upset I take something away or he cant do something I simply sit next to him and put my arms out once most of the upset has gone and he comes..
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• cuddles me and then is over it..since doing this he just instantly comes over for a cuddle and is over the upset in two seconds.

I dont feel stressed or let his upsets stress me..they are his..and I am here if he needs me. I really am glad I do it this way its just so much nicer and I know my son is dealing with his feelings very well...he knows I love him no matter what and I think thats important when children dont understand why something has happened - like their toy being taken away etc.

Hope that helps.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I found that walking away from my daughter made the tantrums worse - like yours, she seems to panic. It makes some sense... she's feeling overwhelmed and out of control and her major source of comfort (me) walked away.
    So now I stay nearby. I still ignore her fit but I stay in the same room, sitting quietly nearby. When she starts to calm down, I pick her up and cuddle her, reassuring her that everything is OK.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• just ignore her and let her know its not ok to act like this maybe try a time out everytime she does it
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• One of my children did the what you are describing. For some reason, holding him tight so he couldn't move (but would not harm him) helped him calm down. Sometimes, he would try to get away and I wouldn't release him until he was calmer.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009