What the heck is wrong with me?!!!

When my husband leaves for work or when he talks about going to work the next day I get this horrible anxiety, I can feel it just coursing through my body. It's because I'm going to be alone. I'm a great mother and do a wonderful job of taking care of my child and ENJOY it, and even though the help is great I don't "need" it, that's not the problem, it's the being alone part... Don't know why? Maybe it's because in the back of my head I'm worried if something were to go array I would want him there. Idk... But I don't think this is a normal feeling. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• Co-dependency takes awhile to silence. Your thoughts control your life. Study them and see if that is where the problem is. Good Luck. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I wouldn't say it's necessarily co-dependency. I think it's normal. I get the same way. It's just that when you are alone, you have more responsibility and nobody to fall back on. What helps me is to sit and take a few deep breaths, then consider what you think is the worst thing that might happen. Think through the scenario; no doubt you can handle it on your own. Train your mind to be calm. But just know, it's not unusual to feel that way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I think you should speak to someone, get out and do something! I love my DH with all my heart, but am happy to see him go to work, I enjoy being alone, or with my kids. Hang in there momma, by any chance do you have a baby? Anxiety is pretty common even 2 years after birth.
    I remember when my first was born, I was afraid to sleep for the fear she might die, I had a mild case of ppd, and a couple of months of mild medication made me much better.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I used to be like that.. I was able to do two things: 1. I started taking Valarian Root to help with overall anxiety and 2. I was able to talk myself through it each day until I didn't need to any longer. I'd ask myself "What's the worse that can happen?" Then I'd make a contingency plan of what I would do. As I worked through my plan, I realized the likelihood of my biggest fear was very remote. Then, what if something smaller happened, what would I do? I realized I was competent enough to deal with it, and that I knew what to do. These scenarios gradually reassured me. But it takes time. Now, if I get that anxious, panic feeling, I do a little trick. I tell myself I'll worry about it at _____ (a certain time) but not now. When that time rolls around Im usually too busy to worry, and have forgotten. It really works!! GL
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• The same thing happened to me after my 2nd child was born. I was so upset about him going back to work that he called in and told his boss that I was going crazy.

I've had anxiety issues since I can remember and found myself nodding while reading Nimue's response as that is exactly what I did. I still occasionally take Valerian root when I know an especially stressful situation is coming up. But for the most part, I talk myself thru it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you. I think it comes with being a good mom :-)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2013