This may have been asked before

But I have been wondering since I have heard about this more here recently.

Motorcycle accidents and helmets.

Here's the thing... Why did they lift the helmet law?? I have know a few people that have lost their lives in accidents and they weren't wearing a helmet. I just don't get it... who decides that something like that is ok?? To me it's kind of rediculous because it seems that it's more important to keep that part of your body protected in an accident.

I know that the risk is higher for cyclists, but what I REALLY don't get is, if they don't have to wear a helmet... why do motorists have to wear a seat belt? Isn't that basically the same thing? I know either way if it's bad enough someone can lose their life, but the people that make up these laws are pretty ignorant I think.

I know what it boils down to is money. They can make more money off of giving tickets for no seatbelts than they can for no helmets. But I really think that's a stupid law.

Am I wrong?? Your thoughts...
Thanks!

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It is a state by state case. I agree, but really think that people should be free to do as they please, most bikers are aware of how a helmet can protect you, and if they choose not to, I am in agreement they should be able to do so. I feel I should be able to choose or not choose to wear a seatbelt as well, I would still wear mine, but if you don't want to I have no beef with you choosing not to.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• There are negatives to helmets - they can make it harder to see, either by blocking peripheral vision or making it harder to turn your head. They can cause permanent hearing damage if they catch the wind the wrong way, or make it harder to hear other traffic. It's not so much about one is safe and the other is not, it's people individually weighing the risks based on how often they ride - the chance of a wreck vs the chance of hearing damage, or whether they are more or less likely to be in a wreck if they can't see their environment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• M brother used to work for the fire department when they were also the rescue department (EMTS)
    He pulled more brains off the pavement than he ever wanted to think about. Bikers were all the Big Bad then. The law went into effect to "protect" us. Many of the helmets of the time were more dangerous than not wearing them but they did contain the brains. I think it was also a lame attempt at reining in the biker groups and giving reasons to haul them in. I thought and think the law is stupid.
    I think the seat belt law has saved lives. There have also been instances of people being trapped in a damaged seatbelt.
    I think that making these laws to protect minors is fine. They can not make safe choices for themselves, though I do think that the parents should be able to make that choice but be accountable should something happen.
    I think adults should be able to make the decision for themselves.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• There is a helmet law in my state (Oregon). And, I think there should be seatbelt laws, and helmet laws, in every state. Do people have the right to be idiots about personal safety? Yes they do. But accidents don't just affect the person unbelted, or unprotected. They affect others on the road around them, our insurance industry, etc. Snapping the seat belt, or putting on a helmet, is very little to ask.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I also believe it had something to do with the lobbyists for the insurance companies.
    I feel that if you have the option of say wearing a seatbelt and choose disregard the suggestions posted in the drive's manual, that the insurance coverage/ claim should be adjusted accordingly.
    I feel this way about driving without a license and worn tires as well.

There are consequences for being stupid and it is not everyone else's responsibility to pick up after you made a willful mess. JMO
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• well, I can get what your saying NotPanicking... but why should motorists be ticketed for no seatbelts since we know the risks as well? Just all seems a little silly. Just desn't seem like the right thing.
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• ut why should motorists be ticketed for no seatbelts since we know the risks as well?

Wearing a seatbelt doesn't cause an accident. You don't hit another vehicle because you couldn't hear over the sound of your seatbelt or see around it (unless you're wearing it wrong, in which case, here's your Darwin Award).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I wear my seatbelt all the time but I guess it just kind of made me wonder about how one law is ok but the other isn't. And sometimes I do feel like it's the states way of trying to make money off of people. When they don't get their speeding quotas they will get it by non seatbelt wearers... lol
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I agree Nimue...

And NotPanicking... it's just a simple question... you don't have to get ur thundies in a bunch!! sheesh!!
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• And I know a seatbelt doesn't cause an accident. But I guess what it boils down to is why is one getting ticketed over the other?? It is basically a choice of that person to wear it or not.
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2013