Why should I accept her friend request?

I have a cousin that is super religious. Still wants to go back to Africa to do missionary work even though it's nearly killed her husband (unknown, recurring illness) and son (depression). At least a year ago I got sick of all her "Christians are the best people in the world" postings and unfriended her.

I woke up this morning to find that she'd finally sent me another friend request, but no message as to WHY she suddenly wants to be my friend again. This whole time she's been friends with my husband. I'm guessing it's because I'm pregnant again.

I took her six months to realize that I unfriended her. She went looking for my contact info for something and couldn't find me on her friends list. It's been even longer since then.

Why should I add her again? We're not friends. We don't talk. She comes to town and does things with the rest of our family, but says nothing to me. We could pass each other on the street today and not recognize the other one.

I have a feeling if I WERE to add her I'd be looking at all her "God is great!" posts all over again. I'm not against her believing whatever she wants, I just don't want to see it all over MY wall.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Relationships

• You could friend her but, block her posts from your wall. But, it's completely up to you.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I can't answer that only you can. If you do friend her you could send her a note asking her to not post religious items on YOUR page.
    Sometimes you feel you want to stay in touch because you are family. This may be her feelings, but IDK.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• You can add then HIDE!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I just sent her a message asking her why now, after I unfriended her around 2 years ago. Adding her, then blocking her from my wall was a thought I had too.

Yes, she's family. So I sort of feel guilty for not adding her right away, but we've never been close to begin with. I really don't care what she does with her life, she looks down her nose at me.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I have requests like that I just ignore. It hurts nothing to have them hanging out.. and I really don't want to address it. So, I don't. It's Facebook, not real life so... oh well!! Im not about to stress about it.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Use the acquaintance setting - you'll only see major updates from her (relationshp status change, new job, etc). She can see baby news, and if she comments on your statuses you can ignore her or tell her off if you see fit when she doesn't behave.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• if she's friends with your DH,there's no need to friend you as well
    IGNORE

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Don't add her. Ignore her request. If she asks you about it, tell her that you wish her all the happiness that the world has to offer her, but that you don't like your feed being filled with her religious posts. I would make sure she understand that you are happy that she loves her faith, but that isn't what you want your feed filled with. It's just easier this way.

Or if you want to go non-confrontational then just add and hide her.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Heh. Moot point now.

Me: Why a friend request now? I removed you from my friend list at least two years ago. We have nothing in common. We don't talk. You could walk past me in the street tomorrow and not recognize me. So, why now?

Her: I am sorry for bothering you. I assumed it was a mistake since I am already friends with many of my family on Facebook. Unless you have had reconstructive surgery I would recognize you, but if you don't want to be friends with me that is your choice. I noticed because I'm still friends with your husband and I was going to congratulate you. At least I know where I stand. Sorry for the intrusion.

I deleted the friend request from her. No more issue :)
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Rose dearest, are you feeling hormonal?

She's friends with your husband, I know I feel weird about being friends with husbands but not wives. You are pregnant and adding to the family, I'm sure she just wants to see updates and pictures.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2013