Anyone want to do this with me?

Free online class

"Introduction to Philosophy: God, Knowledge and Consciousness

This course will focus on big questions. You will learn how to ask them and how to answer them.

ABOUT THIS COURSE

This course has two goals. The first is to introduce you to the things that philosophers think about. We will look at some perennial philosophical problems: Is there a God? What is knowledge, and how do we get it? What is the place of our consciousness in the physical world? Do we have free will? How do we persist over time, as our bodily and psychological traits change? The second goal is to get you thinking philosophically yourself. This will help you develop your critical reasoning and argumentative skills more generally. Along the way we will draw from late, great classical authors and influential contemporary figures."

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• i love the idea behind MOOCs and plan on doing several when im not actually in school. i took a basic philosophy class before and its not my friend...most aggravating class ive ever taken haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• These are free??
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I registered for the one you linked and two more that start later.

Thanks for this resource. I had no idea
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I would love to do this when I wasn't already taking classes. I love free online classes, just don't have the time right now. I am going to bookmark the site for later when I have time! It would be awesome to have others to talk to about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Why must you tempt me with this? Why?!

But... I'm already taking a couple short courses through a local writer's group, and I've promised myself I'd remain focused on those. It sounds very interesting though, and I'm soooo tempted to sign up.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• You both should do ittttttttt
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I'd love to, but I really don't think I have the time to devote to this right now and do it justice. Still, if you see anything particularly fascinating during your studies, I hope you post it here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I've enrolled in an evolution and Greek hero class, too, if anyone is interested in doing those. I just thought that since so many of us are interested in religion it might interest more people ;)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• "These are free??"

Yup. The classes themselves are free. If you're trying to get real college credit you'd have to pay (for those that offer it), but the classes themselves are free and all the course material is provided.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• "Thanks for this resource. I had no idea"

I had no idea until today, either. Someone linked the Evolution course in a religious group I'm in on Google+ and it looked interesting (of course it started on the 25th, so I have to catch up - the Greek one even earlier than that, but they're the topics I'm interested in, haha).

If you want to message each other and kind of study buddy, if needed (hey, if we get more people interested we can start a group here or on FB, lol), it would be neat to compare our experiences as we go through the class at the same time ;)

And I hear you, okmanders. This appealed to me because I'm not currently in school. I couldn't imagine taking on MORE classwork if I were ;)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2013