is there a maximum number of hours an employer can work a pregnant women?

i was just curious and i cant find nothing on the DOL website

gurlieracer4

Asked by gurlieracer4 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• Nope. Unless your doctor puts a restriction on how many hours you can work, your employer can work you full time (40 hours) and over-time if you are willing/wanting to work it. They can not, however, pregnant or not, force you to work overtime.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If your worried about it get a restriction from your employer :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh yes they can. I have been working mandatory overtime for 80% of the past 3 years...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I should have made that more clear. My bf also works mandatory overtime, but it was in his contract that he would have to do so.
    If you sign a contract to work 40 hours a week and nothing is mentioned about mandatory overtime, then no, they can not force you to or punish you if you do not work overtimes.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• There are no law with the department of labor the say they can not force you to work overtime. They can and you can be fired for refusing. Unless your in a contract job, which most people are not, you can be forced to work overtime.
    Anonymous

• Pregnancy is not an illness so a regular work day unless there is a medical problem as a result of the pregnancy. I worked up to my due date. I was also walking three miles a day and going to Yoga up to my due date. I had an easy delivery without drugs because I was active. Coworkers who treated their pregnancy like an illness drove me nuts. The ones with complications were different but many wanted work restrictions on desk jobs when only 6 weeks pregnant. Some women drive me nuts.
    Anonymous

• And the women that drove you nuts are the same women who still have their 50 lbs of baby weight 5 years later.

To answer the question. No there are no restrictions.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If you don't want to work more than a certain number of hours a week just tell your doctor and they will write you a medical letter.
    I went on restricted hours early in my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies and was out completely 2 months before each baby was due. I am only 10lbs heavier than before at just 113 lbs, and I can't walk for exercise now. Gaining 50 lbs during pregnancy is not healthy.
    No job is worth putting a mother and/or babies life at risk and you know your body best.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009