What Urine Pregnancy Test Is my Doctor Talking about?

I've been trying for a few months now to get pregnant without any luck. I've been anxiously awaiting this coming Sunday, the expected date of my next period, to then take a home pregnancy test the following day if my period doesn't occur. I went to the doctors for a possible UTI today and while there they conducted a urine pregnancy test. Doctor said it was negative and that it was completely accurate because the test could detect 100%, any time of the month, whether or not you were pregnant as long as the unprotected sex occured at least 6 days prior.

How is this possible? Is there some kind of extremely sensitive urine pregnancy test that i've not heard about yet that can detect hcg levels just 6 days after conception date no matter the point in the woman's cycle? I'm still really hoping that I could miss my period this sunday and find out I'm pregnant on Monday. Is there still hope for me at all?

Caa3098

Asked by Caa3098 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• Never heard that before. Test anyways.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Thank you staciandababy I appreciate you answering!
    Caa3098

Comment by Caa3098 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I'm skeptical.

hCG is produced when implantation occurs. Implantation occurs 6-12 days after fertilization. hCG isn't detectable prior to that.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• That said, I think you should ask your doctor what specific test he's using
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I agree with Statcieandbaby. Test anyways. I have never heard of that. Last I knew my doctor said they used the same kind of tests you can get at the dollar store.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• Thats what i've always been told too tntmom1027! It was really discouraging when the doctor said the test was negative but i've NEVER heard of a pregnancy test being that accurate independent of the woman's cycle! Especially just a urine test rather than a blood test.
    Caa3098

Comment by Caa3098 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I'm not sure I buy the idea of a one hundred percent accurate test that can be taken any time of the month. If your period doesn't come this weekend, get a plain old ordinary pregnancy test. Good luck, and the more you stress about getting pregnant, the harder it is likely to be. Have fun on the journey.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• I have never heard of that though it used to be that they could do a blood test earlier than the urine tests.
    Sorry I am not helping.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• That doctor was pulling answers out of the air. Fake answers at that. Do yourself a favor and don't go back to that doctor even if you're dying... he'd kill you faster!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I've never heard.of anytime during the month, but many tests can detect up to 5 days before your period so it's unlikely you're pregnant but I wouldn't say impossible

Answer by missanc at 6:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2013