Kinder troubles continue

He came back yesterday with a Orange(was previously at a red). For hitting, he punched a kid in the stomach apparently because he said something mean(but can't remember what or doesn't want to say)! We have never had problems with him being physical.

He had problems in preschool with a kid that was very physical and DS(T) never even attempted to defend himself. He was also horsing around with another boy in class. Today I don't know what happened as there was a sub and my husband picked him up and didn't get to talk with the teacher and the sub didn't write anything in his behavioral journal.

We stress that he needs to keep his hands off other people and that he needs to listen to his teachers and follow directions etc. I don't know what else to do. He lost his privledges today(no playing, no tv etc).

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1351740/Disobedient_kindergartner

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry the little guy is having such a rough time. i'm wondering if maybe part of it was having a different teacher so soon after the start of school. Of course, that can't be avoided sometimes, but maybe the change freaked him out. I don't really know what else you can do except tell him what your expectations are and take privileges away when he doesn't meet them. Just keep on keeping on, Mama.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2013

• This happened once in Kindy with my son. He actually hit 3 people in one day. We had him write 10 sentences per offense saying "I will not hit..." then he had to write an apology letter to each one and hand deliver it the next day. It was a LONG day and it took a LONG while to get through it. He missed tv, games, computer, and a special outing because he was balking at writing. Had he simply finished it, it wouldn't have taken long, but he turned it into drama for a while. i kept calm and kept him on task except when he needed a break to calm down from tantruming. We reiterated that we do not hit our friends, if there is a problem with another student, he MUST tell an adult. We talked about it a dozen times a day to drill it into his head. We talked to the teacher about backing him up whenever he came to her. He never has had to repeat that particular discipline. It left an impression.
    Anonymous

• It might be time to seriously look into getting him into some form of martial art. The really good ones emphasis self control, discipline, and focus. Our school also has a policy where if either child acts out and/or tries to use their taekwondo outside of class, they get in trouble IN class.

Recently my daughter was being a little brat and trying to talk my dad into buying her some kind of snack because she was SO HUNGRY and could NOT wait for dinner. When he told her no, she hauled back and slapped him across the head with her belt. Our instructor took her belt away for a week.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2013