Austism/aspergers/ tic?

My son is about to turn 5. And the last three years he has been talking with his hands. He's ever so slightly Delayed in speech(if even). Ive asked multiple doctors about the hand talking and the finger wiggles. They all told me it was
Nothing to worry over. He is very smart. Does well socially. He has a pretty good physical ability including his fine motor skills.. He can write his name and do simple tasks and hop o one foot and switch and ride a bike. He can count to 30 without help and recognize the numbers. Knows his letters, colors, shapes. Etc. potty trained since 2 1/2.

But the finger thing has not changed. Couple years ago he used to walk around with a plastic golf club toy (and use it like it was a sword). And about a yet ad a half ago we got his a plastic sword for Xmas. He has this thing everywhere and is constantly playing with it but sometimes he holds it almost against himself and wiggles it close to his face. And the finger wiggles aren't just when he is excited. It's all day. When he talks, when he is happy, when he is watching something. Only time he stops is when he is running/racing/playing tag.

I tried googling forever ago and today I finally found something similar!! Stimming. He doesn't flap his hands or arms but I saw a video of a little seven year old autistic girl reading and wiggling her fingers as she focused. It's as close as ie been able to find to what my son does! I already asked his school to test him with speech and everythingso I'm stull waitin on that. Just looking for thoughts... Suggestions? Opinions?

Is there a way I can post a video. I have of my son so you can see it?

nnh_mama

Asked by nnh_mama at 12:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That alone does not qualify as autism. My son does the finger thing too, but he does have the diagnosis. If you want to find out if it's autism or not, consult a developmental pediatrician. As long as he's doing well otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Unless there are other markers for autism I would say it's just a quirk.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• If you son is doing well socially and academically then I don't really see the point of anything beyond evaluation. If all that troubles you is talking with the hands etc. then I wouldn't worry to much.

I do see where you are coming from, my son(just about 6) sounds very similar to your son(except he wasn't potty trained until he was nearly 4!) except it's that he is constantly chewing on something or has something in his mouth.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I guess my point was....what do you hope to gain from having him evaluated? What would you hope for after that if they say...yes he has aspergers etc?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I'm not really worried about him because I know he is doing well but I guess I'd rather
    Know the cause now so if he does have any difficulties down the line I know why and how to help. I guess I'm looking for answers in the hopes of being well prepared for different possibilities in the future. Just want what's best for my little man lol

I asked him the other night at bedtime why he talks with his hands, he said he doesn't know, then said because he has to. And then he wiggled his thumbs (double jointed thumbs and wiggled them out of the sockets) lol my husband and I don't really point it out or make him feel any different because of the fingers. I had a cousi who used to flap hands when e got overly excited. He grew out of it when he learned it was a little socially off. I figure
    My son will do the same..or not. Who knows! Lol I think I'm going to try and find other ways to keep his hands busy and see if that helps.
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Maybe playing with clay or putty or play dough more often will help. Or a stress ball for his hands? Idk. I saw a video of a lady who made up a finger song to distract her baby from wiggling fingers. Most of the things listed for aspergers I don't think for my son well. So I'm thinking it's some sort of tic or tourretts?
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Ask him if he doesn't do it,if it makes him feel bad (anxious) and if when he does it he feels better
    Could be Tourette's

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yeah I am leaning towards just some sort of tic. It started as something he did when overly excited about something and e now does it all the time. He can talk or sing a song and keep with it all the while wiggling his middle fingers and thumbs. Could be a mild case of turretes. I've asked multiple doctors and they said as long as henis up to par with everything else they don't see the harm. Which I grew but I'd still like to know the reasoning and why is gotten worse over the years. I called the school again an I'm waiting on a call back about scheduling a speech and development evaluation. So we shall see what they have to say. Thanks ladies!
    nnh_mama

Comment by nnh_mama (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2013