Is this what it's like?

Is this what it is like to be a SAHM with no kids in the house?!?!? It is nice, I must say. It's only been 3 days, but I have enjoyed it. I have gotten so much done these last couple days. The kids are in daycare until the 15th, so I have no one badgering me the entire time I am trying to do things, and it's nice. I have realized that I am much more content with the kids, now that I am not trying to clean, get them dinner, and keep them entertained all at the same time. Cleaning is already done by the time I get them, and dinner is started. I also have time for myself. It's so nice that we might consider keeping DD in part time. DS would stay home with me, since being in daycare is probably making all of his illnesses worse, and DD would only be there 2-3 times a week.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2013 in General Parenting

• I didn't like it last year when DS was in school. I got nothing done anyway and I was bored. I actually do better now that he is home with me. I am much more organized and get more stuff cleaned and done instead of playing on the computer all day.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yes. It's a bit of sane time in your life.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• When DD is in school and it's just me and baby, I feel like a dog counting the minutes until she gets home, LOL.
    I get bored by mid-afternoon when I have my tasks for the day finished.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yes...it turns out that a sham's life is not at all bad.......

Answer by older at 8:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• It is a relief. I missed the kids if it went on for more than a little while, though.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• yes, it is nice to have the 2.5 hours in the am I have to either clean or if needed, rest.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yes! This is what it is like!
    For me it was a long time coming. I had a few mornings a week when my oldest was 3 and in preschool 8:30-12:30 three mornings a week, but my twins were born when she was 4. And I never put them in preschool, so it has been a long time (five years with them home all day.)
    This year is a big change. Right now I don't have every day "to myself" because one of my boys is transitioning more slowly to school (he's home on Tues & Thurs right now), plus both boys were out sick various days over the last week & a half, but I do have some time each week with all three kids at school.
    And even just being with one of the boys feels easy & special. Noticing that, I realized that it must feel wonderful for him to finally have alone time with me, after his whole life with a twin always there, but I also realized just how wonderful it is for ME to have "just him" when we're together! It really felt so different.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• DS never really gets alone time with me, poor kid. DD gets an hour every night because she goes to bed later than DS. We are thinking of keeping DD in daycare part time (3 days a week) because she loves it so much, and just keeping DS at home, so it will still be easier to get things done with only one, and he is so much more well behaved when his sister isn't home. He is a very jealous boy right now, so I think some alone time would be good for him.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2013