please help, my soon to be 1 year old (this sat) has been refusing all liquids...(gotten worse over the past few months), it has been a struggle since abt 8/9 months.

please help, my soon to be 1 year old (this sat) has been refusing all liquids...(gotten worse over the past few months), it has been a struggle since abt 8/9 months. This is happening esp in the morning, when he wakes up he acts like he wants a bottle, will only drink 1-2 oz and then starts playing with it and refuses to drink anymore...I wouldnt think this would be such a problem if he ate as well. He does ok in the afternoon with finger foods, but he will not eat anything in the morning and if I try to offer food he gets so upset and then screams all morning. I try to offer another small bottle before his morning nap, which he will take abt 2 oz again, but that is it. His total fluid intake for sometime has been only abt 14-16 oz. He gained a little less than 1 pound from 9 months to a year. I just hate seeing my baby to upset and I feel like my constant attempts to get him to drink/eat are making it worse?? please help!

mjmk10513

Asked by mjmk10513 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh I have also tried every sippy/straw/regular cup under the sun! Just no interest in drinking much?? worried he will not get enough nutrition and that I am also reinforcing bad habits?
    mjmk10513

Comment by mjmk10513 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I really think you need to talk to your doctor. Will he drink juice or water? I was thinking perhaps he doesn't like the taste of the formula, but gaining only 1 lb. in 3 months is a big red flag, please make an appointment with his doctor.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• when you brought this up at his well baby checks, what did his pediatrician say?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:02 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Have you tried talking to the doctor? I mean really I would have done that from the start.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Doctor sound like a good idea.

Answer by louise2 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Ask the Pediatrician.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I did talk to his doctor and he thinks that this will happen as he gets older, we go in for his 1 year appt on monday and I plan to try to get more a of response/suggestion from him. He said his weight will plateau as he gets older too. He is 21lbs 11 oz at 1 year, so he is by no means sickly. He has lots of energy and sleeps well, just not big on the eating and drinking? Has anyone gone through this, I am hoping it is a phase, but just seems to be getting worse... I feel so lost.
    mjmk10513

Comment by mjmk10513 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Actually it sounds like he is getting more than enough to drink. Not sure what you are expecting his fluid intake to be. What color is his urine?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• there is no color in the diaper. hopefully I am just over thinking this and maybe its just that he wont drink alot at 1 time. I have been trying to see if this is a normal behavior (not wanting anything in the morning or just drinking 1 oz at a time), but cant seem to find anything?
    I guess I will just talk to the dr again on monday and see what he thinks.
    mjmk10513

Comment by mjmk10513 (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• How often does he wet his diaper?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2013