Opening a place for families and kids?

The town I live in is small and besides the movie theater there is nothing for families or kids to do for fun or birthday parties. THe closest town with options is 40 miles away.

If you had your option of what kind of place should be opened up in this town, what would you choose?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 10:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• Bowling, or skating or a laser tag place. Those are my sons favorites. Or maybe a bounce house place, but that is mostly for younger kids, the other three even teenagers enjoy.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• How many peopel live in the town? You would have to make sure there was enough to support it.
    Those jumpy house places are huge here, as well as the new SkyZone, a trampoline park.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• just a recreation area for almost anything. we have the same problem, there's nothing really to do unless you travel half hour away to another city. a person does own a building not too far away built for mainly receptions but you rent it for $50 or less and you could do anything to it. there's 2 rooms to it, a sitting area and a bar area - endless ideas
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I think 222 is on the right track with the trampoline place. Plus, they have trampoline aerobics for your down time. You could have parties during certain times and then do something different like the aerobics during the week / school hours so that you can appeal to different demographics.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• A bounce place that does kids parties would probably do very well. They also have open play daily for a fee too. The only problem is the Liability Insurance must be very costly. Plaster Craft & Build a Bear places do well here. Petting Farms do parties here too. How about a nature center? You could have small animals, reptiles & insects & have parties there too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• All very good ideas...our town is about 10,000 people. I have talked to the older generation and they say when they were young there were a lot more things to do, rollerink, etc. Would be nice to give our kids something positive to do. Not sure I would want to deal with teenagers though...they can be crazy. :)
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• A place for birthdays...somewhere where parents don't have to worry about what to do, and they can just show up and enjoy...

Answer by older at 10:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• You won't beable to get around dealing with teenagers unless you forego th roller rink idea and put in something that only appeals to younger kids. Teenagers can be crazy, but they have money, and a lot of them are very willing to spend it on recreational activities.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2013

• How many towns are close to you? I am not sure a town of 10,000 could support a SkyZone type of thing, you need to get the census report for a 20 mile radius, you figure the elderly and the people who have no children (unless they worked out) would not be canidates for your place.
    How about just opening somekind of "party place", I am sure when there are birthdays, wedding showers, receptions, there isn't anywere to host them.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I would have to look up how many people our town actually supports. I actually live 22 miles outside this town and it is the only place I can go to get groceries near me. So, I guess there would be quite a few other rural communities that it supports as well.

I am more worried about the wrong type of teenagers in my place. We have some not so good kids (and adults) around here and I wouldn't want it to be hang out and have to deal with the drugs, etc.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2013