How involved are you?

We had what was called Math Academy for Parents last night as our school is implementing a new program called Math in Focus (aka Singapore Math). This math is NOT what we grew up with, nor is it something I have ever seen.

Our LO is in KG so we will begin with it, making it easier to help her if she should need it.

This was for Kg - 5th grade parents to see, do some problems and ask questions. (Quite informative).

This is new this year so the kids are going to start next week really diving into it.

Only about 30 parents came, I was shocked. KG parents really did not need to be there other than it gave us a heads up of what to expect 1st - 5th grade.

Do you take the opportunities given by the schools to learn to help your children, be involved etc?

(I picked this cat, because there isn't a kg-5th)

***Edited, this was scheduled for 6:30 PM and notices sent out 2 weeks ago***

luvmygrandgirl

Asked by luvmygrandgirl at 12:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Very much so
    I walk my son to school everyday,so I have the opportunity to speak with his teacher and aide every day
    We attend all conferences

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yes if it is for this type of thing I go to it, but I have noticed in our school at least, that they schedule these meetings at very inconvenient times for working families, like at 430, no one can get off work, or is off work yet. I have my sons teachers e-mail so if I have questions we can talk at a convenient time for the both of us, so some families at your school might have done the same thing.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Oh the new math, I really can't grasp it.
    I try to go to almost every meeting that I can, our old school was a desert, nobody hardly ever came, new school you can hardly find a seat, and of course there is a couple of parents who have to comment/bitch/observe about everything, so what should be an hour meeting is turned into a debate for 2 hours.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yes if I could make it. We live in walking distance of the school so it usually isn't problem for at least me to go(if daddy is working).

My son is only in K so we haven't had many.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I would be protesting them changing math. They have done it before and it is always a failure.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Parent/teacher conferences are great for me, though I look a little silly talking to myself since we homeschool. LOL!

Last year I went when I could, but the meeting times were very inconvenient. I stayed in contact with his teacher by e-mail and phone though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Dard, I actually like the new math, I feel it does teach them to understand why they get the answers they do etc.
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• They change the math every 2-3 years, so even the ones who did go would still have to learn another for their younger kids. All that matters is they get the answer and know how they got it, unless you get a real ass for a teacher.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• ^^^and that is why they changed it here, it was basically what is 3+5 oh 8 why, because I used my fingers etc and that is what I got...they want them to visualize, it it was very intersting math concepts, so I am glad I went.
    luvmygrandgirl

Comment by luvmygrandgirl (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Yes, I try to take advantage of the opportunities given.

I attend family group meetings at our school, and I go in for things parents get invited to attend. I'm on a committee and I'm a member of the school board. One of the administrators is offering a 12-week seminar on progressive education & I am attending that. There are about 12 total...some parents, some teachers, some community members. I think parents have to pick & choose and make the call based on many factors. Not being there doesn't always reflect lack of caring or concern.

I miss some things, as well. I missed more, or opted out of more, when my youngest kids (a pair of twins) were little. The older they've gotten, the more flexible I've become.

This is my most involved year yet, as I've committed to monthly board meetings, the seminar & all its readings, etc.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2013