Can doctors be a few weeks off on your due date even if all the u/s confirmed their initial findings?

A friend of mine is pregnant and was given a due date. She went in two weeks later for an u/s and that u/s said baby was measuring right along with her due date.

Then did the 20 week anatomy u/s and again, baby was measuring right at 20 weeks.

Well now she's supposed to be 32 weeks but when they measure her she's measuring closer to 36 weeks. She doesn't have gestational diabetes or anything and she hasn't had any issues. They did an u/s and they estimated that baby weighs close to 7 pounds already?? She is convinced that they have her due date wrong and that she's going to have baby any day.

Could they really have been that far off her due date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Well it is an estimated due date. It is never set in stone.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• But an entire month off?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• The due date is probably more accurate than the ultrasound scan. None of it is an exact science. Btw - the weight of the baby could be way off too, like a couple pounds either way.

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Babies come in all sizes, perhaps they are 2 weeks off not a month?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• My Dr. tried to convince me that I should have a C-section because my second baby was going to be over 9 lbs.+. I refused & said, "no matter what I will be delivering this baby vaginally". I knew he was wrong because I weighed & measured similar to my first which was 6 lbs. 11oz when he was born. Sure enough, my Daughter only weighed 7 lbs. 11oz. So it's all just a Guesstimate.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Ultrasound measures tend to be off. And doc due dates can be off by as much as two weeks either way. I'd disbelieve both. Baby will arrive when baby gets there.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• No once you have an ultrasound to confirm due date or dating scan the due date doesn't change. Some babies do grow faster, she is probably just gonna give birth to a big baby.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 1:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Due dates are a best guess. She could go anywhere from 38-42 weeks. As for weight in an ultrasound, I have yet to see one that was accurate. I've heard many a story where women were told they were going to have a 10 pound baby and gave birth to a 6 pound baby.

She's in the home stretch and will have the baby when it's ready, not before.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Due dates are only off by two weeks give or take. NEVER assume the baby will weigh what an ultrasound tech says it weighs. She will have her baby when her body makes enough oxytocin to start contractions. Hopefully she doesn't fool herself into thinking she's past due when she's not. Delivering too early is never a good thing. She should stick with the original due date, since it follows when she last had a period.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• The earlier an ultrasound is done in a pregnancy, the more accurate it is for dating.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2013