my 6 month old loves the tv.....

I never deliberately put him in front of the tv, but when dh or I are watching it he always turns to it to watch too. Sometimes when dh is watching him he'll turn it to the disney channel and he'll watch baby Einsteins and he loves it, dh still plays with him and such so he's not just using the tv as a babysitter, is this going to hurt my child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say no. Kaylee loves to watch TV, its bright and colorful, but like your son Kaylee is playing as well, and she will stop if a noise or bright color catches her attention and watch for 5 minutes or so, and then go back to playing. I keep things like Finding Nemo or Madagascar on the TV as background noise on a pretty regular basis. I think that the bright and moving colors are supposed to help their development. But obviously if you make them sit there for hours and watch TV thats not good for them. All in moderation :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My kids like to watch different cartoons throughout the day. The TV is on constantly, but we also take time to color, play, read books etc.
    My son is almost 3 and is smarter than most other kids that I have seen, so I do not think it is holding him back. He knows his ABCs, can count to 13, can count backwards from 5 to 1, knows all his colors, shapes, he also knows most of his numbers by sight and 20 letters by sight....I do not think it has held him back one bit.
    As long as you still interact with your child, and play/read etc, you will be ok. Everything in moderation, just like adults.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't think it will. I keep reading in baby magazines and websites that its so bad for the child, but putting my 6 month old in front of the TV to watch cartoons is the only way I can get anything done around the house. I just limit her TV time though & don't put her there all day.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I sure hope not because my son is the same way! He is 5 mo old and he has always liked the tv. He will sit on my lap with me and WATCH tv. He will sit there for like up to 10 min sometimes and just watch the tv....
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 12:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my 4 month old does the same thing. She loves it! She laughs at the t.v. and everything-- well baby einstein. and she watches tom and jerry -- its too cute.

And actually there's a song on a commercial thats grabbed her attention since she was born. It's called boom de ya da

It's the only thing that will get her to calm down... whether its the song or she's watching it on you tube.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• nope cant stop your kids from watching it especially if they like it
    Lauren2008

Answer by Lauren2008 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• god no! How is it bad, I watch tv like 15 hours a day...it is always on.
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2009