Adult Acne?

Does or has anyone suffered with adult acne? If so, did it ever go away? What did you use to treat it? I'm almost 29 and started breaking out like crazy around 25. Its mainly around my jaw area, neck, and on both the right and left sides of my chin. I've tried every kind of face wash and makeup, but nothing helps. I'm trying to avoid taking a birth control pill (my doctor said that it would probably help) but after almost 4 years of this crap and scarring, I'm thinking it may be my only option. Advice? Words from the wise?

BitsMom00

Asked by BitsMom00 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• I'm 35 and have ALWAYS struggled with horrible skin. I have tried every face wash and acne treatment known to man with minimal results.My mother still has issues with her skin and so did my grandmother (til the day she died) so I've given up hope of ever having clear skin.

The only thing that remotely helps is using Head and Shoulders shampoo to wash my face.

You also might want to get tested to see if you have Rosacea. If so, there is hope for that.

Try not to pop it. Wash your face often and touch your face as little as possible. The fact that it is mostly around your jaw, neck and chin makes me wonder if you hold your head in your hand a lot. Maybe when you are thinking or looking at something on your computer?

Good luck!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I have tried everything too. I'm finally at a place where after several rounds of Accutane (which only works for about a year at a time), drugs, topicals in endless supply, laser, peels, etc, I have changed my diet, makeup and hair products.
    Diet: No dairy or very little. This helps, I swear. Also no gluten and no processed foods or candy, sugar, etc. I'll eat fruit or fruit leathers. Natural sugar is okay.
    Makeup: All non pore clogging products only and actually, I did all organic products for a while. Now I'm back to Clean and Clear Oil Free wash. Also, whatever lotion is on your face, be careful. Try Vanicream or CeraVe or something organic.
    Hair products: keep products away from the skin and keep your hands off your face.
    I agree about seeing a derm for rosacea. I have it and there are topicals like Finacea that can help. That would make sense if dandruff shampoo helps. Good luck and drink LOADS of water.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I have worse skin now than I did in high school! It's terrible! My biggest struggle is remembering to wash my face at night - if anything I at least wash it when I shower (every other day). I try not to use tons of makeup either (though it's kind of a vicious circle, having to cover up blemishes too). I also use a face lotion that helps my face breath (I think it's Nivea) rather than just cloging up my pores.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2013