First waterbath canning attempt- question about the popping noise while processing

Canned 6 jars of Asian Pears, while they were processing on the towel I heard several pops- I assume that was the lids sealing themselves? Two of the lids popped and then got small dents around the very edge where the lid is by the cap. Are those jars no good now?

Welcoming any other tips- this was only our second attempt at canning. We made grape jam last month.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think you are good, keep the 2 that dented in the fridge and use them first!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• When you press down in the middle of the lid, does it move at all? If it's down, it's sealed, if it flexes up, give it up to 24 hours to seal. Did you raw or hot pack them? The popping after the water bath is usually the lids sealing. How long did you water bath? I could be be more help if you gave a few more details of your whole process.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• It was my fiance who did the canning, I'll do my best to answer

The lid does not move when touched
    The pears were cooked on the stove for a bit before putting into the jars, i think, so hot pack maybe?
    He water bathed for 20 minutes, maybe a few longer

:)
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Do you have a Ball canning book? If not go to their site for lots of tips. If you have a home economist in your county (call 211) they also will have many tips and can answer questions.

The popping noise is the lid sealing. You do not want to move the jars until they are cool and you do not want them in a draft.
    When the lid seals there is a slight vacuum and the lid dents ever so slightly.

Test the jars when they are cool. If the lid pushes in when a slight pressure is applied but does not pop back up you are good to go.
    If the lid pops back up it did not seal and you should refrigerate and use them soon.

Does this help?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• You really need a Ball Canning Book. It's the bible of canning
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Sounds like you did everything right! I'd have total confidence in eating them ;)
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I like all the above answers...
    I heard a pop a couple times...But it was the BAD kind of pop.
    I hadn't heated my jars hot enough when I put them into the boiling water, and the bottoms of the jars just cracked and separated from the jar when they hit the water.
    I learned to do it differently now! Ha!
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 9:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2013

• Did you by any chance you Walmart lids? My mil did and everyone of her lids have extra dents in them. She's keeping a close eye on them but so far so good. Name brand only lids is all I use. It's not worth losing my time and money on cheap lids.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• baconbits- the lids may have been bought at walmart, but they were BALL brand. Do you think it's a different product? I can't remember where we got them, we shopped at walmart and at fred meyers for supplies.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Ball lids don't krinkle BUT the Walmart brand does and the box looks alot like Ball. Double check what the lid actually says. If you still have the box you can call them up and report what happened. I did that once with a batch of Ball lids that I lost 10 jars of canned beef. They sent me a check that covered the meat as well as coupons for free lids. I had to ship them the old lids so they could check them out and see what happened.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2013