When you as a Homemaker do it all...

I have been home all my childrens lives by choice and I'm thankful for that butI am so burned out.I go to all their school meetings alone, clean a big 4 bedroom house alone, cook, dishes when they know to clean thier own dishes and still don't, at 17 and 14 even grown kids come over and make messes and don't pickup after theirselves..husband works at a very hard physical job I know, but gets to come home get on his game 5 to when hes done, and on weekends, I still have it all to do never a break from it some say let it all pile up.but I would go stir crazy.I do like keeping a nice home for them even yes their laundry, am I a glutton for punishment.I have tried everything to grounding, taking privileges away still goes back to all on me.I'm sick of hearing my own voice bitching all the time.Husband helps with dishes from time to time but says he doesn't mess anything up and I hate nagging him about it all the time.ugghhh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• At the ages of 17 and 14 your children need to be learning how to take care of a home. They will be leaving soon and they need to be able to wash their own laundry, cook their own meals, and clean up after themselves. I know you want to do things for them but they need to be prepared. (I will be eating these words in about 10 year from now. lol). Maybe start out small by having your children cook one meal a week for the family. Then add something like doing one load of laundry a week. Build on that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Refuse to wash their laundry when they run out of clean clothes they will be forced to wash em. assighn a certain plate,bowl,cup silverware per child. If they want to eat they will have to clean it, A couple weeks of that and they will have a new respect for all the things you do stay strong and don't give in. go to walmart and buy plastics if all your stuff matches that way one color per child:) GL
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We had chores from the time I was 10. Kids need to learn responsibility and basic life skills (like how to wash your clothes). I was doing my own laundry in high school. It's time to lighten your load and get your kids working for you. We had a weekly chore list, Monday thru Friday. We'd have to dust, vacuum, do dishes, clean the bathroom, etc. and everyday it would be a different chore. I'm not sure if that system would work best for you and your family, but you should really find something that does work for you because it'll make things a lot easier on you!
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH PP. IT WILL WORK IF U STICK TO YR PLAN.
    Anonymous

• Thankyou for taking time to share with me..That's what I love about cafemom is We do not always like or agree with the questions but ppl usually get right back to me..Love it :))))
    Anonymous

• Ok so if he doesn't mess anything up then fine. But the children you BOTH created together do mess things up. So its also his job to help you clean up their messes. But, with them being old enough to do things themselves, then he also needs to help you enforce the clean rules with them! Let him bitch at them for once...he should be supportive of you as their mother just like you are supportive of him (by cleaning, cooking, etc)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009