How do I take my babys temperature?

I tried taking it under her are with a digital thermometer. I got a reading of 100.6. I was told that taking it rectally is more effective but I feel weird doing that. She is 16 months old.

Amy S.

Asked by Amy S. at 7:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get an Exergen Temporal Thermometer. Just swipe it across her forehead even while she sleeps. They sell them at Walmart.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Lube it up with Vaseline and insert a half inch in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• How about holding it under the armpit. Remember to add 1 degree to the reading.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Under the arm is sufficient unless you are getting crazy readings and you need to double check them. You add a degree under the arm and take one away rectally. The only time I ever did a rectal temp on one of my kids was when under the arm it read 103.4 (Making it 104.4). Before calling the ped I wanted to do a rectal check. (He was fine by the way- Tylenol and a room temp bath was recommended and it went down quickly)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• she has a fever, add one degree to under arm temp, she is sick. You could also go get an ear them. but an underarm reading would be lower than normal body temp, not higher.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I never felt inclined to take my daughter's rectal temperature as a baby. I knew when she had a fever; the underarm reading was pretty much just a confirmation of that. Try Infant Tylenol.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Under arm or in ear. I figure a temp is a temp. Does it really matter if its 101 or 102.7? Both get treated the same way. I never even take it anymore. I can tell by touching them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I don't blame you, I couldn't bring myself to do it rectaly either, even if it is more accurate! We have a thermometer that can be used on the forehead and in the ears, I find using it in the ear easier personally. Hope your little one feels better soon.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 8:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I think rectal is whats best. I understand how you feel but it is way way way more accurate!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Well your suppose to take a "core" temp in there hinnie..but we NEVER did. They do make a thermometer that looks like a passifier, you can get at target, but we just take it under his arm pit..for now.
    cynzbryte

Answer by cynzbryte at 7:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2013