What does your typical grocery list consist of?

I used to go grocery shopping every other week. I would make a list of what we were going to have for suppers for 2 weeks, look at what I had on hand and then make a grocery list.

Now I feel like I have completely forgotten how to do that. I did that for 12 yrs and suddenly all I can manage to spend at the store is $50.

I realize my lifestyle has changed now that I'm divorced and there are certain foods that I don't *have* to have in the house (my ex had a list of foods that I always had to have in the house).

Anyone else experience this? Help!

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 8:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I make a meal plan for the week and shop for the things I need for those things minus what I already have of course. I also list potential breakfast, snacks and any lunches we may be eating at home together.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• never is there a typical list here, we look for different evey time we go.
    Milk, butter, bread is the only thinkg we def get each trip
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• bread, tortillas, cheese, milk, bananas, 2 liters, OJ, and tuna...everything else is meal specific and i try to make some different stuff every 2 weeks.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I was just thinking about this the other day, but from the opposite perspective, how my shopping list has changed now that I have a family versus when I lived alone after my divorce. Milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, fresh fruit, sometimes meat, cereal, soups. Oh, and frozen stuff. My boyfriend wants to have frozen pizzas and taquitos and things around.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• bread, milk, eggs, tortillas, chicken breasts, zero cal. spray butter, creamer, oatmeal, cheese, some frozen stuff- including veggies, bananas, hash browns, apple sauce...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Were you wanting to spend more money?

Typical list for us includes milk, yogurt, bread, eggs, cheese, produce and meat.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I have a basic list of perishables we use every week like bread, dairy, fresh fruit, fresh veg, and things like cereal and lunch box items, and then I look at what is on sale for meats and fish and build a weekly menu around those. I also stock up on things like paper goods, health and beauty, and cleaning items when they are on sale so I get them cheaply and don't have to buy them so often. I also keep a running list on the fridge of things we need so I get everything in one trip.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Meal planning before shopping costs more money, not less. Cook with what you have, and if you don't have it, you're not eating it that week. Shop for what's on sale, and use the web to confirm it's a real sale and not marked down 2 cents sale. My usual shopping - fresh produce, cheese, eggs, milk, meat, anything we're low on that is on deep sale. If there's no good produce on sale, or I get there and it looks like crap, we supplement with frozen (already have them at home). The sale cycle works so that everything you buy will be on sale at some point at least once in a 3 month period. Start slowly building up a stockpile of your staples - just pick one category at a time and then maintain it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I just started the planning meals things, but there are a few things we always have around. Cereal (mostly cheerios), milk, soy milk, fruit, whole grain pasta, chicken, soup, whole grain bread. I go for groceries 2 times a month (other than if we run out of milk, then I have to run for milk), and spend about $150 each trip, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Meal planning before shopping costs more money, not less.

That depends on how you meal plan. If you plan around the local sales and what you have left in you pantry it cost less. Not to mention what you plan. If you plan on several 'low cost' meals per week it is going to cost less than if you planned lasagna and ribs every week. For people who benefit form meal planning, it isn't just writing down a bunch of things the families likes to eat. A good bit of consideration and budgeting goes into it. That part is rarely discussed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2013