Should I hang in there and let this government shut down blow over or should I start looking for another job?

I am one of the government "employees" (only classified as an employee for certain circumstances), that is required to continue working, but won't get paid until the government settles this childish squabble. My next pay day is suppose to be next Thursday. Depending on how much longer this lasts, my boss will be looking into the option of our organization loaning us our paycheck and then repaying it back as soon as we get reimbursed from the government. 

I am getting a little nervous with hearing that this thing could last weeks. I have bills to pay and will be fine for most of October. I love my job and what I do so I don't just want to throw that away, however, my family's needs come first. 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• This is a tough one. If you love your job, then I'd suggest sticking around. But, like you said, your family's needs come first.

I'd suggest holding out as long as you can while keeping your ear to the ground about other job opportunities.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• I'd stick with my job. Typically these shutdowns don't go on for months. Take the loan if it's offered and just keep your job in place.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• My prediction is that it will all be over in a few days. Hang in there :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Surely this won't go on all month. I wish you the best.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• Look for another job just in case.
    fidelis118

Answer by fidelis118 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2013

• If you love your job, and they are going to find a way to loan the money...I'd hang in there.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2013