What would be an appropriate gift?

My brother and his partner are finally going to adopt the little boy they've been fostering for the last three years. What would be an appropriate gift for such an occasion? Would a gift for all of them be fitting, or just something for the child? I really need to find something I can send through the mail because I won't be participating personally in any festivities that might be planned, but I feel like I should, as this child's aunt, honor his official entrance into the family somehow.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Adoption

• To me this is similar to when you go to a baby shower, only the child is 7, so the gifts would be similar in they are to help the parents be prepared to raise the child....except the child is again 7.

Maybe a savings bond for college, some great parenting books and something for your new niece/nephew. If you have a special keepsake that you'd like to give to the child that would show that they are part of the family. A set of stockings with all of their names on them, or a special ornament commemorating their new family. A photo album with "The Jones Family" and each of their first names engraved on the front. 

I don't think there are any rules, just something that shows your love and support.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Not sure how old the child is? My first thought was family games, things the 3 of them can do together.

Answer by missanc at 6:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• What about a gift card to a book Store and a Book to start the child's own "home library".
    All of the kids in our family have one of their own, we got the cheap o book cases at walmart, some scrapbook sticckers relating to books and reading and put them all over it. So their special "own" books go in it.

You could send the card and book to him and then a card to your brother/partner explaining what the scrapbook stickers and meaning of the book/card are for.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I like Luvmygrandbabies Idea of helping them start his own library. He might already have one, but you can't go wrong with books!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• My family does money. Usually in the form of a savings bond for the child.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Maybe money and something for the child, like a bike or something.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Do you have a picture of them? You could get a nice Christmas ornament with their picture on it, have it engraved with our first family Christmas or something.
    I think a nice keepsake of some sort is the way to go, you could also get some kind of beautiful frame to keep it in.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Get a good picture of the tree of them. And frame it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• oh well that changes things, for an adoption party with a child already in home something for the whole family
    movie passes, gif card to favorite place to eat to celebrate or maybe a Personalized photo frame for them to put a family picture with the adoption finalization date on it?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• The child needs a fabulous stuffed animal from his favorite aunt. Your brother and partner should receive a fantastic photo frame so that they can frame the most perfect photo from the adoption day.

My opinion, of course.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2013