my seven year old yells and cries about everything and I can't take it anymore what can I do to make the m mornings more pleasant

Every morning when he wakes up he yells and cries about everything and when he gets home from school the same thing and I have two older children who have never acted this way and I dont know what to do.

Gabriel A.

Asked by Gabriel A. at 7:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is he getting enough sleep?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Being the youngest, has he been babied a lot?
    How long has this gone on?
    Being grumpy in the morning is common for some but as for the yelling, I would set consequences for it.
    In the afternoons he would be going to his room and staying there alon until he changed his attitude. he could possibly need a nap, some kids do.
    Try earlier bed time as well.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• how long has this been going on?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Going to say something that will get some criticism.   Pop him on is ass when he does it.  And say, "keep it up, you will get another one."  That will stop him from doing it.

Fire away ladies!

Answer by louise2 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Haha my dd did that at my mother in laws house and she threw a glass of water right in her face. Guess what it stopped her dead in her tracks & she didn't do it again.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• About what exactly? Can you have her decide the night before what she's going to wear, eat for breakfast, pack for lunch, etc.
    How do you react when she yells? Keep calm and do not respond in anger. Change your morning routine. Make it a game, if she gets ready in 30 minutes or whatever time then she gets whatever time is left to play a game, read a book with you, etc. use what motivates her.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Crate training worked for us.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 10:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• 1) Is he getting enough sleep each night?
    2) Is is routine the same every day? Does he get upset when the routine changes even a little?
    3) Do you have consequences/rewards for behavior? i.e. You may watch a few minutes of tv before school if you get up and get ready without behaving badly.
    4) Maybe there's more to the yelling and screaming than just being naughty... you might want to consider talking to his doc about this behavior.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• My first thought was possible anxiety. Some kids who are anxious get very whiny and emotional.  They cry, appear resistant and sometimes have tantrums.  I agree checking with her doctor is key.  There are some good screneing tools to help assess if anxiety is something to explore further.  Or at least rule it out.  

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• What is your reaction when he does this, do you take things away, reward him when he doesn't do this behavior? Does he have the same behavior in school?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2013