I guess the parents should be walking these kids right up to the school doors

The 1st bell rings at 8:15. The kids need to be in their seats in homeroom by 8:20
There are these 5 boys that,instead of lining up outside the school,choose to hang out in the park across the street. When the bell rings,they slowly walk across the street to the school
The policy is if you are not in the doors by the time all the kids that are lined up get in,you have to go to the main doors and be buzzed in by the office because all doors are locked. They never make it on time.
I fight the urge every day when I pass them,to tell them to get their asses moving.
Why choose this form of rebellion?
Why would you risk detention,suspension,loss of privileges?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• Like one anonymous reply on page one stated, I would not choose that or risk those things. But that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for them. For those boys, it very likely makes sense or they wouldn't be repeating the behavior! Some payoff is there & the negative consequence apparently hasn't been so negative as to discourage the behavior. It is up to the school & the staff that are affected by this pattern to handle it if they are concerned or frustrated. If the students are receiving tardies that potentially add up to unexcused absences or result in detention or suspension, then their parents should receive notice & then it also is up to the parents to address the situation.
    But I can imagine reasons for a middle school boy to choose to do something that puts him at risk of detention, suspension & other punishments. It doesn't have to make sense to me personally to completely make sense to a child in a situation!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Do they get marked tardy? Our school is really strict on their tardy policy. If you aren't in your homeroom by the second bell you are marked tardy. They may improve when progress reports come out.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I guess the consequences haven't been bad enough for them yet.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 9:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Obviously whatever punishment, at home and school, they are getting isn't working. If it were my kid I would be making sure they were in class on time.

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• That would irk me too.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Do you guys have and child truancy laws? Washington State has a STRICT one.

School/District Requirements
    After one unexcused absence in a month, the school is required to inform the parent in writing or by phone.

After two unexcused absences, the school is required to initiate a parent conference to improve the student's attendance.

After five unexcused absences in a month, the parent and school must enter a contract to improve the student's attendance. Or, the case can be referred to a Community Truancy Board.

After seven unexcused absences in a month, or ten unexcused absences in an academic year, the school district may file truancy petitions with the juvenile court.

If the student is not in compliance with a court order resulting from a tuition petition, the school is required to file a contempt motion.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• ...cont

I'm not reading it all right now, I've got to get my kids to school (oh, the irony), but I also think there's something in there about so many tardies equal one unexcused absence.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Not your kids. None of your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Would I chose this? No. But it works for them. We do not continue to do things where there is now reward in it some how. Some where this is being positively reinforced. It may not be by the school or by the parents. It could be positive peer reinforcement. The same peers they hang with each morning. I guess I am not tempted by these situations or am bothered by them. My thought is if the school is concerned then it will approach the students and handle it. Or not. It in no way impacts my daily functioning or my child's. I might be inclined to write a letter of concern to the school principal and local newspaper about tardy policies and how they may or may not be enforced.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• If those boys were mine, I'd be marching them right up to the doors of the school, and if it didn't work the first few times, I'd start wearing a clown suit or a funny hat or something while I did it and squeezing a bicycle horn to make sure I attracted plenty of attention. But they're not yours, all you can do is shrug it off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2013