Books ENJOYABLE to read to 5 year old girl?

We are really struggling to find books we can enjoy reading out loud to our DD.

We've gone through so very many book purchases only to find the books seriously dull and plodding or too awkward to enjoy. I'm sure 90% of young kids' books are sold on the basis of the artwork!

Are there any books YOU have enjoyed reading to your 5-7 year olds?

We're in the UK, so I'm hoping there are some fabulous US books we could latch onto.

Thank you!

patchoulia

Asked by patchoulia at 10:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Books we have enjoyed are the Charlie and Lola series, Julia Donaldson, Arnold Lobel, Alan Ahlberg.
    patchoulia

Comment by patchoulia (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Read the Elephant and Piggie series. They are funny, full of good life lessons, and good for teaching the reading of facial expressions.

Of course, there's Dr. Seuss. We think he's fabulous.

If she's ready for chapter books, my kids LOVED the Magic Treehouse books, A-Z Mysteries, and Horrible Harry books.

And then there are the slightly more advanced chapter books: The World According to Humphrey is the first book is the eight-book series. Humphrey is a classroom hamster, and we see life in a primary grade classroom through his eyes. He's very helpful, very brave, and very cute.

HTH. If none of those ring her bell, let me know. I have more suggestions. :)
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• My five-year-old is really enjoying the Berenstein Bears (sp?) right now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• We read from a treasury of 20th century classics of which our favorites are oldies but goodies like, Make Way for Ducklings, Mike Mulligan and Maryanne, Boom Chicka Boom Boom, The Stinky Cheese Man and as they were favorites of my childhood, I love reading them to her.
    Dr. Suess is also a family favorite.
    My DH's family sends us Paddington Bear stories from the UK. We love those, too!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• When my dd was that age we read the little house on the prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We read 1-2 chapters/night.

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Walter the Farting Dog, anything by Shel Silverstein, most of the ones the PP's mentioned.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• well, with Halloween coming- what about Cinderella Skeleton?

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• When I was that age my mom read me The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Julie of the Wolves, Little House on the Prairie, Where the Red Fern Grows, and the Shiloh series about the beagle puppy
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Some of my favorite picture books to read are books I love for the story, not just the illustrations.
    "Time of Wonder" (by Robert McCloskey) is my top favorite. Also by the same author: "One Morning in Maine" & "Burt Dow, Deep Water Man: A Tale of the Sea in the Classic Tradition." ("One Morning In Maine" is about an older version of the character Sal from his book "Blueberries For Sal." In it, she has a little sister Jane & loses her first tooth. It gives a great sense of place. "Time Of Wonder" visits those places & sisters still older--a rich & lyrical statement I love sharing with my kids.)

I like reading the book "Hurricane" by David Weisner. We also enjoy his picture book "Flotsam," but it's wordless (still, honestly a wonderful "read.")

For longer books, I enjoy reading EB White's "The Trumpet of the Swan" to my 5 year old twins. Also the Little House books & Elizabeth Enright's 4 books about the Melendy family.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Do you have a Library by you? Go & borrow books until you find ones that she is interested in. No need to buy when you can go & borrow books & DVD's too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2013