How to get urine smell out of mattress?

The mattress pad didn't hold it and the mattress is soaked. I've sprayed it with Febreeze and Lysol and it still smells really bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Home & Garden

• You toss it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I have to agree with anon

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• You might have some luck putting the mattress out in the warm sun for a while, but the smell just may not come out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• It's brand new. We haven't had it for a week yet. I can't toss it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I agree, urine is one of the most difficult odors to remove. You can try baking soda, sprinkle it on and let it sit for several hours....or days, then vacuum off. If you can get it out, I'd cover the mattress with a plastic zip on mattress cover that can be sprayed and wiped easily.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Rent a home carpet cleaner and use it like you would on a sofa, set the mattress out in the sunshine to dry. Buy some plastic mattress covers for the next time.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Brilliant idea 222. Thanks.

I had a plastic cover that zips on it. For some weird reason it didn't work. I need to buy a more expensive one I guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• After you clean the mattress, buy Huggies Bed Pads. They are big & work great.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• LOL, I read an article once about the crap that stay in your mattress, I do this twice a year, and it has always worked, be careful not to use too much soap, if you already have sprayed lysol directly on it, you might not need any.
    Be sure to set it in the sun, they take a long time to dry, and you don't want it to mildew.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Baking soda

Answer by louise2 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2013