Groceries,dinners,food,ect...Help

Can anyone help me with a simple simi healthy dinner meal plan and a shopping list for a week or more that can feed a family of 8 and is reasonably affordable.

I just spent over 300 dollars and don't even have anything, at least it feels that way. I got a lot of stuff for lunches i guess. I only have $400 to last for the rest of the month and I am not very good and making that spread and buying the right things to make big meals with leftovers. I don't have a crop-pot

The kids ages are 13, 10,10,5,2,and 7 months. so the younger two don't eat too much.

I know its a lot of people to feed but it just seems like im doing something wrong and we are going through food so fast that I must be buying the wrong stuff! I know it must be easier than this, Please help, I'm no good at this LOL

ok here what I got:: I shop mostly at costco

brown rice
4 pork chops (?)lol
6 lbs hamburger
bag of sweet potatoes
Turkey bacon
coconut oil
whole wheat tortillas 
I loaf bread
bananas
oatmeal
saltine crackers
10 cans tuna
teriyaki sauce 
Hot dogs
1 bag cheese(cheddar)
ketchup
waffles
syrup
brown surgar
olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette dressing and marinade (so good) 
peanut butter and jelly 
mixed frozen veggies

SNACKS / Lunches::
Apple sauce cups
gold fish
pirate booty
fruit snacks
special K fruit crisp bars ( 60pack)
and baby food 

What to make??? AND thats $300 in FOOD!!!! 

I need to go to the store today. This is my list so far::

Chicken
BBQ sauce (bbq meatballs)
spaghetti noodles
spaghetti sauce
milk 
eggs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Food & Drink

• How do you have that many kids and not know how to feed them?

Answer by louise2 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I'd buy lots of eggs, milk, bread, butter, pasta, chop meat & frozen vegetables. Get the local flyer for the store & buy what's on sale. Canned tomatoes for sauce, beans etc. I'll bump you too since the ladies here are great shoppers. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I have a family of 7 and I've never spent $300 at the grocery store! Cheap meals - grits and eggs with freh fruit, pasta with marinara sauce and bread. Buy a whole chicken and cook it, pull it off the bone and you can make 2-3 meals out of it - chicken pie, chicken and rice, chicken soup, etc. Frozen veggies are inexpensive, just get the kind without sauces. Look for bulk packages of meat and repackage into freezer bags when you get home.
    I plan my weekly meals around the store sales flyer. Use the sales!

Answer by missanc at 1:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I have been trying to stay away from lots of breads and grains and go as healthy as possible. I bought some sweet potatoes but have no idea what to make with them. I have brown whole grain rice and whole wheat tortillas. I buy tons of eggs, we eat eggs mostly everyday for breakfast. sometimes I just get lost at dinner time and making new things. I make a lots of chicken but it gets boring and the only thing I have to go with it is brown rice and veggies, I like the simpleness of it but just looking for more ideas.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Sweet Potatoes= Just make an X with a knife on top of each one, microwave them until you can poke a fork into them easily then bake in the oven or toaster oven until light brown on top. Dollop butter on top & serve!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• http://www.health.com/health/m/gallery/0,,20600272_2,00.html

Those are some sweet potato recipes. We shop much like missanc does. We also eat red beans and rice at least once a week. It's cheap, nutritious, filling, and easy.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• You have internet. Go on pinterest. Lots of recipes there.

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I don't have a large family, but here are a few thoughts.

Make a weekly menu for each meal. Make a grocery list of things you need to make the meals. Do not buy anything else.
    Look thru circulars for sales
    Only buy fruit that is in season or on sale
    Only buy veggies that are in season or on sale
    Stock it on chicken when it goes on sale. I find the bone in large chicken breasts for 1.00 per lb. I stock up on it
    Make your own beans once per week. Freeze in small zip lock bag for dishes that call for beans.
    Anonymous

• Two easy things I like to do with sweet potatoes to make meals that stretch is to mash them and put them on the bottom and sides of a pie plate for an interesting chicken pie shell, or mash them and spread them on top of a shepherd's pie with beef and veggies underneath.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Go to your pantry and make a list of everything you have in it,
    For example, I buy Salad Dressing everytime I go to the store, we now own about 20 bottles of dressing, that I will use before I buy another, for some reason, I am never sure what I have.
    My kids organized the pantry for me, and it helps a lot.
    With a family of this size, I assume you have a deep freeze? Investing in a side of beef, or pork would maybe be a good idea.
    When you see things like chicken breast on sale, buy it in bulk!
    If you want to give us a list of what you have that seems to go with nothing, I am sure we could come up with something, I might add that for some reason I have over 20 cans of canelli beans? LOL
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2013