What would you think of the school using your special needs kid to clean up the hallways,lunch room?

None of the other kids have to do this
I informed my son's teacher that I was thinking of homeschooling him next year,or definitely in 2 years when he reached high school. She was offended.
She started talking about how they would be instituting the kids in her classroom to clean up the lunchroom,and to empty trash in some classrooms as part of her curriculum.
She said that a big part of the high school curriculum was to take the kids out into the community to work (for free) to teach them about a work ethic.
Maybe i'm seeing this wrong,but it seems like they want to turn my son into a janitor.
It makes me feel like they don't see these kids becoming anything,so they're choosing to abandon a good portion of actual learning.
I know in my heart that my son is capable of so much more,and they just haven't been using the right techniques with him to teach him.
So that's why I want to try teaching him on my own.
My state allows me to create a curriculum around any subject I choose

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Special Needs

• Oh. HELL. NO!!!!!

You are NOT using MY child as free labor because you're too lazy to teach him. Not a chance in hell would I be ok with that. I send my child to school to get an education, not to do your shit work.

Oh man, would I be blowing up some phone lines if anyone tried that with my kid.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• You have a few weeks to cool off and try to compose yourself before the conference (assuming you can let it go that long). If it were me, I would come up with several questions for them about the purpose of him cleaning up and Why, if it's good for him to learn a 'work ethic', why is it not good enough for the other kids to learn work ethic as well? I would put them on the spot to have to explain to you why your son deserves less than the other kids. Then I would sit there in silence as they try to come up with a reasonable answer. Let the long awkward silence throw them off and then ask them what the parents of the other special needs kids think about their policy to use their kids as janitorial staff. Again, wait for an answer even if the silence is awkward. I would then ask them if they can think of any way this policy might set the special needs kids up for bullying and humiliation - and again, wait for their answer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Apparently there's no money for his altered curriculum

Oh and that's not an excuse! They are legally obligated to meet the modifications on his IEP. It they are not call an emergency IEP meeting... tell them you will get an advocate (lawyer) if need be to make sure the IEP is followed!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Hell Effing NO! DS is a 5th grader and they are responsible to stack chairs and clean up the lunch room tables, but that's because they are the last one's to use it and to help make it easier for the janitorial staff to clean up the floors and spray down the tables. I would be livid if my kids were made responsible for cleaning the hallways and lunch room, especially at the cost of their recess or instructional time. That's what janitorial staff are for. Are they cutting him a check every month for the work he is doing?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• She said that a big part of the high school curriculum was to take the kids out into the community to work (for free) to teach them about a work ethic.

^^  Is this only for the special needs kids?  I can see doing some kind of public service would be good for ALL kids to learn about work ethic.  

I think you might be onto something with the choice to home school.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I can understand the benefit of having skills, but that applies to children across the board. For instance, when I was in elementary we took turns and got to help in the cafeteria for lunch duty. Some kids didn't want to do it, but most of them did. Not because they were special needs, but because it was something different and you felt like what you were doing was helpful in some way. I don't understand why these tasks meant to help the school shouldn't be an opportunity for all of the students. Some of the most brilliant people are not considered 'normal'. Why pigeon hole them into unskilled trade labor than to take the skills they excel at and have them help the school in that respect?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Recently there was an article I read where in Japan ALL the students were responsible for cleaning their schools....they take turns cleaning windows, floors, toilets.....
    I think the whole student body should be responsible for that type of thing....not the special education students. I feel like they are more capable than people think they are. To abandon their education for that is total crap.
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• This is discrimination!!!
    Anonymous

• I can't believe she said this, and I can hardly type I am plain old pissed off at the wench!
    Get your kid another teacher as in today, and talk to the principal, super, president whatever you have to do.
    WTF-your kid can pick up the trash, but our NORMAL children would be offended?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Are they doing that as "Vocational Training"?? I work in a HS with SPED kids and helping the Custodian in the lunch room is something that is done... it's one of the many vocational training opportunities for the kids in the Co-Op program at our school.

Look here... there is some good info about these kinds of programs... 

http://www.northrivercollaborative.org/dotnetnuke/northriver/EducationalPrograms/CommunityBasedVocationalServices.aspx

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2013