Shots fired at U.S. Capitol; building in lockdown

Should be on the news by now, here's the first link on the list at Google News:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/3/shots-fired-us-capitol-building-lockdown/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Anyone surprised?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh well. That's all I can freely say about it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Not surprised at all.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• It is on FOX news

Answer by louise2 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Surprised? I can't say that I am. Not for any particular reason. Crazy people do crazy crap all the time. The woman had a child with her in her car. I'm just glad that no bystanders were killed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I'm on lunch and getting blurbs on this. Have they figured out the who, what, when and why yet?
    I understand the shooter is dead but the baby is fine. At least that's what I'm hearing right now.

I'll check in after work, hopefully more news by then.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 4:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I'm waiting on more confirmed details and a clearer picture. From different reports I have heard that the suspect might not have had a gun, but that she had run into a barricade and got out and started running. I didn't hear anything about her having a gun. At least not yet. I'm not watching it that much though. So much information changes early in an event like this.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I haven't heard confirmation that she was killed, only that she is at the hospital. There appears to be consensus that the child is safe and unharmed.

I think we need to redefine the use of the word "terrorism". Every article I've read has made a point to say something along the lines of "this is an isolated incident and not related to terrorism". Whether she was attached to a known terrorist organization or not, she sowed terror among the people caught in the crossfire. She's a terrorist, in my book.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• That's a good point QM. Nothing I've read specifically states she was the shooter either. I guess we'll see what comes out later but I suppose it could mean that either the police were the only ones shooting because she rammed the barricades, there was a second person (shooter) involved, or she was the shooter
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Well, like I said, preliminary reports (I believe from CNN) state that all shots were fired from law enforcement. She charged the barricade at the white house and then there was a car chase to catch her (of 20 SS cars), ending where it did, where she was subsequently shot. Some were saying dead and others were saying taken to the hospital but not confirmed as dead. Only a lunatic does something like this.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• What threw me off was that much of the early coverage said that people were being told to shelter where they were due to gunfire. It sounded a lot like there was a shooter outside of law enforcement. It is interesting how a few details make such a big difference.

I tend to watch a lot of international news when this stuff happens because I get a clearer picture. It looks more like now like she tried to ram the barricade, the police pursued her and opened fire and she hit a squad car which caused the injury of the officer.

The worst part is the kid in the car. What a whackadoo
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2013