If you were at a garage/ estate sale and picked up a purse and while examiling discovered that it had money left inside, what would you do?

Dishonest as it sounds, it would depend. If the owner was holding the sale there would be no question that I would take it and inform him/ her.
In our area many people hire others to do the whole selling thing and that is harder for me because I know that the $20. would just go into someone's pocket as a bonus and not to the owner..I would have to think about it.

What if you saw someone else find the money in the purse and pocket it? Would you do or say anything?

It so happens, I was garage saling and this happened. The owner was thoroughly surprised and offered me the purse as a thank you. I t was a Hello Kitty purse of a little kid and I though DGD would love it. It was all of $.50 but I was touched at the gesture.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Shopping

• I would return the money, it was very nice of you to do so as well.
    If it were the second case, I would ask the name of the estate having the sale, and do my best to return it to them directly, assuming we are talking about more than 5 bucks or so.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I would give it to the owner, period. If someone else was running the sale I would find out who the owner was and return it to them.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Give it back. You can't control what someone else does with it (in the case that it was someone holding the sale for someone else), but you can control the type of person you chose to be. I would always have that weight on my shoulders because if I had taken it, I knew I would have made the wrong choice.
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I would give the money back to the owner. If I saw someone pocket the money and I was sure of it? I guess I would say something if I knew it might matter to the owner. For fifty cents? Probably not.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I would give the money to the owner, and probably to the one holding the sale just in case that person happened to be honest. I couldn't live with anything less. Those estate sales are heartbreaking on the ones who have to deal with them--my boyfriend just went through that last summer--and I don't tink I could add insult to injury by pocketing a twenty from an old purse that had belonged to someone's mother. I'm not sure what I would do if I saw someone else swipe the bill, though. I don't know if making a scene would be better than letting it go.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I would give it back. I did something similar to that once while shopping at a consignment shop. I found $2.00 In the pocket, and I knew they had a record of whose pants they were, so I turned it in. I know it's not much, but every little bit counts nowadays.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I would buy the purse as is. That means I would not tell the person their was money in it. If they do not look in it before they sell it. Their loss.

Answer by louise2 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I prefer the honest way so I would tell the person running the sale.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Turn it in to the owner.

I could never take money that wasn't my own when I could return it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• QuinnMae I think you didn't understand, the purse was marked $.50 and the money inside was a $20.00 bill. She wanted to give me the purse for bringing it to her attention.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2013