How do I dry up my breast milk?

Been breast feeding for 14 months. The last time I nursed was yesterday morning. I am swollen and sore. I've tried cabbage but it's not helping. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• hand express just a little bit to keep you from being engorged. Continue to hand express only as needed until it dries up.
    Anonymous

• Drop one feeding per week until weaned. If that is not possible, pump and drop one pumping session per week until dry. Pump to comfort. You can save the milk for anything you'd like.

Supply killers include estrogen containing birth control and peppermint
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Did you quit all at once after yesterday morning, or had you been cutting back slowly? Quitting all at once can leave you miserable.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Quitting all at once. It's time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Oh I really feel for you! It can be so painful and uncomfortable, I did it gradually, by cutting out day time feeds then slowly reducing the night feeds. Good luck!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 5:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Simply stop nursing. I suggest tapering off instead of cold turkey, to reduce and then stop the milk flow.
    Cabbage does not work as you have found out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I did it very gradually. I started only feeding him at night, so it was only once a day, then I only fed every other day until finally nothing. I miss my big breasts haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I've heard that Sudafed works, but I cut back slowly until they were done.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Quitting all at once is an engraved invitation to pain, I'm afraid. And it's hard on the child as well; don't be surprised to have baby lifting your shirt.

But if you're going to stick with that, estrogen birth control will have you dry by MONDAY. Yaz is a known supply killer.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2013