Anything I can do for sore/bleeding nipples while breastfeeding?

I am 8 months pregnant and I really want to breastfeed but my nipples are already naturally very sensitive and I'm worried about the soreness and bleeding that I've heard/seen other women experience.

What are some things I can do when baby is born to prevent this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nipple shields and/or that little tube of Lansinoh that you'll get in the hospital, talk to La Leche League about nursing, ask for a nursing consultant while in the hospital.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• This was my lifesaver when I was nursing, for BOTH of my kids.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Lansinoh like Rosehawk posted
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Your nipples will toughen up as you nurse and you will have some tenderness as this is new to both of you. Babies have no need to open their mouths before birth and if the do it is not very wide. This makes nursing a little bit of a challenge, at first especially if you are well endowed. Talk to your OBGYN now about what she recommends. Different doctors will say different things. You will visit the hospital for a tour you go in, or maybe you have. Ask about their lactation specialist and how you go about requesting a visit.
    Ask about new mommy classes for breastfeeding mommies. and go.
    The biggest challenge (and why it will hurt) is if you do not get the baby far enough onto your boob. The entire dark area needs to be fully in the baby's mouth for a good feed and a comfortable one.

Ask what cream or lotion you can use to toughen up the nipples and/ or easy the discomfort.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• An all natural, and safe way with no side effects, and no chemicals getting into your bloodstream: Apply raw, scraped carrots directly to raw nipples. OR Apply yarrow tea or expressed fresh yarrow juice compress to sore nipples. I hope this helps.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Your nipples may not even get sore. If they do you apply lansinoh nipple cream. Best of luck to you and congratulations.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I have the same problem as you. I started using the Lansinoh nipple cream when I was pregnant. I am not going to lie... the first few weeks is hard and it does hurt. But the benefits for you and your baby are worth any discomfort. And after the first month it is a breeze and so much cheaper and easier than formula. Always feel like you can talk to your doctor about all of your questions, that is what they are paid to do. And you can always come here for breastfeeding advice. And there are a couple of good breastfeeding groups here too.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Soreness is common. Lansinoh will help. Bleeding indicates a latch problem. For that, an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant can help.

Many women never have any bleeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

•   So good it is worth repeating. This is a godsend for nursing mothers.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Don't listen to horror stories. I had a little soreness in the beginning but never any bleeding.

Answer by missanc at 10:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2013