Does your school have a big Bon fire on Homecoming Eve?

We did when I was in school. Dinos roamed back then, so maybe that's why it was around 6 in the evening.

My kids are begging to go to the bonfire tonight at their school. It doesn't start until 9:15! That's 45 minutes past their bedtime. I can't let them go. It's too late. They have major tests tomorrow morning. They will be hell to wake up. They won't have time to eat breakfast.

I'm wondering if other schools wait so late to start the bonfire? Do you even have one? Would you allow young grade school kids to stay up late to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids always had a bonfire but it was a Thursday night and they didn't have school on Fridays. Plus grade school kids didn't go. The only bonfire they went to was the red ribbon one and it was on Fridays.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• We've never had a bonfire for Homecoming around here. I wouldn't let grade school kids go anyway. Homecoming is for teenagers in high school.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I don't recall little kids going either when I was in school. BUT, the first and second grade cheerleaders are performing tonight at it. My youngest is friends with all of them so she thinks it's unfair they get to go.

I say oh well. It's too late. And this is why you will not be a cheerleader.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• elementary homecoming? first and second grade cheerleaders?! thats one weird school...

my high schools didnt have bon fires, one was on a military base so that may be why. my college did have a huge bon fire every homecoming week until the huge one at Texas A&M fell and killed some kids...they brought it back a few years later.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Yes, but I have no idea when they have it. My son is only 6 so we didn't go. We didn't go to the game either. But if my son was older and wanted to go, I would let him. Even if it was past bed time. I Let him stay up late sometimes, for special circumstances.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• No, they don't have one here. That is way last bedtime for my younger kids and they would not be going. Gives them something else to look forward to in maybe middle or highschool

Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2013