NFL in pink?

My boyfriend has the Buffalo/Cleveland game on TV. Apparently, the NFL supports breast cancer awareness. The refs have on pink shoes, pink hnkies, pink scuff bands, even pink whistles. Interestin.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The NFL have been doing this since 2009, I believe. The quote below kind of sums up my thoughts on the subject. They aren't my words, but I can relate.

"Well it's breast cancer awareness time again, Football players with pink shoes and
    ribbons everywhere you turn

I think it is fabulous that breast cancer awareness has been so successful
    Millions of women have benefited.

However Breast cancer awareness has sucked the air (and money) out of other
    cancers. Breast cancer gets over twice as much NCI funding as Lung, Colorectal,
    Prostate cancer and 15 times more than pancreatic cancer."
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• This is nothing new. You can bid on the stuff they wear in games and the $$$ goes to cancer research. http://www.nfl.com/pink

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Yeah they've done this for forever. You've got to hand it to the SGK Foundation. They've got the market cornered
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Yep. Saw that last year too. I think it's pretty cool!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Typos. Interesting.
    Anonymous

• MLB does this too around Mother's Day. i think the NFL usually does blue for prostate cancer later on in the season
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• Didn't they do that last year?
    I think it is a good thing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• I like the attention to breast cancer but hate the SGK foundation. I actually called to see where the money goes. Very little into actual research. If not spent on administrative costs then it goes to marketing and awareness. They sent me a breakdown at my request because all non profits are required to by law. I would prefer it went to actual research.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Yeah, the NFL has done the October pink for a few years now. I do like how it makes men more aware of breast cancer

But I agree about SGK. I'd rather see more of the money they collect go into actual research. It would be lovely to know that one day in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future cancer will be something that is read about in the medical histories. "People used to suffer from this, but now cases are very rare and easily cured." That would be very good thing.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I love this! I don't watch sports, but how very supportive of them.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2013