I need help, helping my son.

The school year has just started good, and my 6 year old son is really struggling. He is having difficulty with his spelling words, hearing all sounds in a word, reading letter sounds and instruction reading. Has anyone had any of these troubles with your child and if so how did you help them? What could I do to help my son?

MEC87

Asked by MEC87 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is the same age, in 1st grade and she seems to be going at her own pace. I start feeling like she's struggling or behind and then one day it just clicks! I think practice makes the difference....reading to them, breaking up the larger words. I have her watch my mouth sometimes when I'm sounding out a word to her. I made her flash cards as well just out of index cards.
    There are different websites too that you can use...nick jr and sesame street are favorites in our house with all our kids (have twin 4 year old boys and a 3 year old boy as well ). There are different games to sound out words. A lot of spelling is memorization too. I think they call them sight words? Words the kids should know just by sight because they practice them over and over again or they are exposed to them the most.
    Just know your not alone mama! :) Keep working with him!
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• It might be worth it to have him evaluated at school for an IEP (you can talk to his teacher about how to set up an IEP meeting). Or talk to his doctor about an evaluation for learning disabilities. My dd has all those problems and has had an IEP since 1st grade. She has Auditory Processing disorder, dyslexia, ADHD, and Asperger's.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• This is where you talk with the teacher and the doctor both.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2013

• My child has great difficulty and it turns out she has auditory processing disorder. This means she had difficulty with her handwriting, sounding out words, spelling, and listening to instructions. There were also social skills issues with her peers because she doesn't understand their verbal cues. It has nothing to do with intelligence. In fact, her IQ is significantly above average. Discussing with her school did not help much. Their take was she was stubborn, knew what to do but did not for whatever reason, and felt she could control herself more than what she really can. In auditory processing she has trouble with the volume of her voice being louder and can't function when there is a lot of background noise. Even if that noise is not so bad. She also has ADHD. I love her school but my experience with school has been they are not so good at narrowing down the actual issue. They are good at defining the symptoms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Start by getting the child's hearing tested. Go from there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2013