Standing for the pledge

No link or anything for this, just came up in something I was reading elsewhere. Thread of people exchanging their worst offenses from high school. One person mentioned a huge stink being made because they refused to stand during the pledge, which they were not saying for morality reasons. The school wasn't making it about not saying it, but about not standing while everyone else said it. (and then the conversation went on from there about whether or not it was a reasonable demand by the school, the politics of students' rights in schools, etc)

So is it a reasonable demand? If someone objects for moral/religious/etc grounds to saying the pledge, should the be required to stand up for it out of "respect", when it's clearly something they have sound reasons for not respecting in the first place?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I think that standing even without saying the pledge is a reasonable request. In such a case, you're not giving respect to the flag or the pledge, but to those around you who do respect those things. It's courtesy.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I agree with May.

I feel it's hugely disrespectful and men not taking their hats off during the pledge as well.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but come on, it's time to get our pride back and be thankful for our country and Armed Service men and women who give their lives.
    Stand up people!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• It would seem like standing for the pledge if you have an issue with saying the pledge is counterintuitive. One of the biggest pluses of our country is the right to disagree with certain tenets of government and to refuse to participate in actions such as these. The case you mention is passive resistance which was the exact tool used to propel us forward toward civil rights.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• While it may be courteous to those around you, where is the line drawn?
    For instance when in a group and asked to join hands in prayer, to a deity you do not worship, should you?

Isn't it a acquiescence that that deity as the one you believe in? So wouldn't standing be saying you do believe in the oath?
    And what of the tourist? Are they expected to stand? They have allegiance to another country...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Manners and beliefs are to differnt things.
    I may not eat pork because of my beliefs, but if it is served, I just politely decline it.
    Same thing here, it isn't about showing respect to the flag, but respect to those around you.
    If I were to visit a Church and refused to be respectful during the prayer portion, I assume I would be removed from the building.
    If the kid didn't want to stand, he and his parents had a choice to remove him from that school
    I would never say that forcing someone to make an oath would be tolerated, but they were just asking him to be respectful of those who wanted to do so.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I can't link feral but if I were to put MYSELF in a situation that required hand holding during prayer, I would, out of respect.
    But, I tend to stay away from events I don't believe in.
    If I were visiting another Country, and the Countrymen stood, I too would stand, out of respect.

As a tourist, it's showing respect for your host country IMO. For those of us who believe in standing for pledge, we tend to put our right hand over our heart, no one is asking those that don't want to stand to do that.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I would have a big problem with forcing someone to actually say the Pledge against his or her will. But standing quietly while others say it seems to be the polite thing to do. When I visited a dear friend who lived on an Air Force base in Alabama, the National Anthem would come over great big loudspeakers all along the streets at five o'clock. Traffic stopped. Conversations stopped. Transactions in the Commissary froze in mid-exchange. Everyone, even small children, stood still and listened quietly to the song. Some certainly did it out of reverence, but I'm sure a lot of others did it just to respect the tradition or those who honored it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• KT- part of it goes back to something I experienced during school.
    On the ride to games, we were expected/ mandated to hold hands and recite the Lord's Prayer.
    Sitting quietly, which to me is respectful of other's beliefs/ faith etc., was not enough.

What about the belief system of the outsider?
    So long as they aren't disruptive, why does the will of the masses supersede their right to not be a part of the group?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• For the sake of argument, how does not standing for the pledge minimize the respect others feel for it? I guess my thought is that if I feel strongly about saying the pledge, standing for it, etc. the fact that someone else chooses not to should have no impact on my belief system.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Another way to put it, if you are visiting a mosque, should you be required to bow to Mecca or just expected to be quiet?
    Or a Catholic church, are you required out of respect for them to also kneel?

Don't know anything about Mosques or Catholic churches, just using those as a random examples to emphasize a point.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2013