How do I keep my 2 year old from climbing the ladder of the bunk beds?

I have 2 sons, 5 and 2 years old. I want to move my 2 year old out of my bedroom and have him start sharing a bedroom with his older brother. However, my 5 year old has a bunk bed and he sleeps on the top. The space below is open and that's where I would like to put the younger one's toddler bed (currently, he is still in a crib). How do I make this transition safe for my 2 year old, when I know that even in playing in his brother's room he has tried to climb the ladder over and over again. He is hard headed.

AuntLorelei

Asked by AuntLorelei at 12:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With the different bunk beds my boys had, we always took the ladder off and they'd just climb up on the end of the bed fame
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Well you could either remove the ladder and put up those shelves that have stairs going up (what we have) or you could tell him that he may fall off, and then let him do so.
    You could remove the ladder and put it in the closet, and lift your DS up to the top bunk at night, I would assume that leaving it out all night so he could climb down, would not prevent your 2 year old from waking up and climbing on it.
    You could put the top bunk on the floor, and have 2 beds next to each other.
    There is nothing you can do IMO to keep a toddler boy from climbing on things, never saw one who wouldn't take the temptation.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Good Luck with that. I woudl suggest a different type bedding arrangement, maybe a trundle bed?
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Yeah... you are not going to be able to keep him off of it. Either take it off completely and put your older son up each night, or look into a different type of bed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• We took the bottom rung off ours. It didn't top her trying again once she got a bit older but it did help when she was small. Good luck (worrying I know)
    patchoulia

Answer by patchoulia at 12:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Take the ladder off.

Answer by louise2 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Take the ladder off. You could make arrangements with your older son on how to get on and off the bed without the ladder.
    Rubysarmiento

Answer by Rubysarmiento at 1:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Take the time to teach him to climb safely.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• One other thing you could do is create lots of opportunities for him to explore & try out the ladder with supervision, so he isn't driven to do so "illicitly." What you'd convey to him is the idea that whenever he wants to try the ladder, just come get you & you will watch him climb. For this to be successful you would have to be very available & really back it up by stopping what you're doing & going with him whenever you can. (And as soon as possible when you can't.) Consider it money in the bank, an investment toward the future.
    Create the conditions to let him realize he doesn't "have to" take things into his own hands in order to get to climb.
    If you discover him climbing without having called you first, just come right in & observe aloud that he must have been wanting to climb, and reiterate that you want him to come let you know whenever he wants to climb. (Prove to him that including you isn't negative.)
    Hang in there!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I agree with GirlwithC. My daughter has bunk beds in her room, and she was three when I taught her to climb the ladder and encouraged her to do it when I was around till I was absolutely sure she was safe. I figured she was going to climb anyway, so teaching her how to do it safely and carefully was my best bet. I also spread a couple of thick comforters on the floor for a while by the bed in case she fell.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2013