Would You Warn Him?

I've been at my job (I'm a receptionist) for just over three months. When I started, the guy in accounts payable had been there three months and everyone who works with him had just started to realize his... lack of potential. So he's been here six months now, and it's clearly not working out for him.

Honestly I don't know what his issue is. He's my age (25) and in fact he's a few months older, but he has the work mentality of maybe a 20 year old. He's constantly making mistakes (which is a pretty big deal when your job consists of taking peoples' money), doing nothing when he should be working, complaining of being tired (which we all are, but nobody complains like him)... oh, and when he does make mistakes he'll go the "it wasn't me" route instead of just owning up to it and learning from it. This has gone on far too long, but I guess here, they aren't very good at letting people go - totally fine, I wouldn't be either.

They FINALLY admitted to themselves that he isn't working out, and they'll have to find someone to replace him. I should also add that he's been talked to by his direct boss twice, with no improvements. I should also add that he's never actually been asked to do his actual job, because every time the accounts recievable person (the one he works directly with) tried to trust him to do it right, he'd screw up big time. He never took notes... never tried to do anything right at all. So our AR person is currently doing the job of two people... even though there are two people here.

Anyway, they've interviewed someone this week and I think they're hiring her, which (assuming she has to give two weeks at her current job) will give the current guy a couple of weeks to find something new.

He covers for me at lunch, and when I come back I can see that he's been applying for jobs... so I mean, at least he must sense that the end is near, but as far as I know, he hasn't found something yet. And this poor guy is so naive that he probably thinks he has time - even though he's been talked to twice, and he MUST notice that some of his work has actually been taken away from him... but at the same time, he's not very observant... so maye he hasn't noticed!

Aaaaaanyway, I don't really feel bad, because he dug his own grave... but I know I would be pretty pissed, if I were in his shoes, to find out I was being fired.

Should I warn him? Maybe hint at it somehow? I know it's not my responsibility, but since I'm the receptionist I do know basically EVERYONE'S comings and goings, and I do hope that this kid won't go too long without a job - it's a tough world out there!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Money & Work

• You pick a lot of things up by just listening. You walk in a room to give someone papers and you hear part of their conversation on the phone, they're talking as they come out of a meeting and you're at the water cooler, etc. In the case of my own bosses I know ALOT more then they would ever imagine. But I keep my mouth shut about what I know and they trust me enough that if I do pick things up without them meaning me to that I won't say anything.

Then there's also her own power of observation of just watching the man and his co workers. She's seen his lack of work and the others picking up the slack. Couple that with what bits and pieces she may have overheard lets her form her own opinion of him being fired.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Nope, don't say a word. You'll be burning your own bridges there. This is management's responsibility
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Don't, you could get in serious trouble with your bosses if you do.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• No, dont say anything.  You could jeapordize your own job.

WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• What PPs said and I would add, since you know the comings and goings of everyone, part of your job is discretion. You owe it to your company to keep confidences.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• It's not your place to let him know, however I would be concerned about the confidentiality of a company that discusses such matters either in front of or with the receptionist that has been there half the time as the guy they are considering firing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• As a secretary I know a lot of things I shouldn't. It's not hard if you keep your mouth shut and use your brain. People coming in and saying "I'm here for an interview for the such and such job". Kinda tells you someone is most likely getting fired or they're hiring someone to help them out. Answering the phone and having someone ask about an ad they saw on the internet. I'd have been more surprised if she didn't know they were hiring someone else for the job and question her abilities.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• And to answer your question no I wouldn't tell him that he's about to be fired if you want to go anywhere in the company. Learning to keep your mouth shut is a biggie in company's. If you can keep it shut over something like this then they know that there's a better chance you'll keep it shut about a big deal going down, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• You say NOTHING. Nothing at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Only if it is worth damaging or losing your own job. I would not.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2013