Pregnant with low iron..

This is my 4th baby and my last BC I will be getting my tubes tied after he is born 2 girls 2 boys perfect! Anyways with my first everything went great second and third placenta was coming off a little but never got put on any restrictions went full term. With this pregnancy I was having trouble with my weight I was scared to gain weight BC I lost 80 pounds so I am 26 weeks pregnant now n everything was going good till I almost fainted twice on a walk with hubby. Called my doctor the next day come to find out my iron is low..I am now taking iron pills 3 times a day n restricted from going on walks :-( I am slowly going crazy. I knew I must eat and maintain a proper diet to keep my baby healthy n safe even though I was scared to gain weight but I was able to get in some exercise. Now on more scared then ever to gain weight BC I can't go on walks. Is there anything I can do to ease my mind and from going crazy about the weight thing. I know I must do what's needed to keep him safe n keep him healthy n go to term.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You're SUPPOSED to gain weight while pregnant.
    Here's a breakdown of the AVERAGE weight gain. I got it out of What to Expect When You're Expecting. Everything is approximate.

Baby: 7 1/2 lbs
    Placenta: 1 1/2 lbs
    Amniotic fluid: 2 lbs
    Uterine enlargement: 2 lbs
    Maternal breast tissue: 2 lbs
    Maternal blood volume: 4 lbs
    Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 lbs
    Maternal fat stores: 7 lbs

Total AVERAGE weight gain: 30 lbs.

That number will be more if you're underweight when you get pregnant, and less if you're overweight/obese.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Yes this I know..since it's my 4th baby..but with my first 3 I didn't have a weight issue. So I didn't care that I gained the weight..with my first I gained 60 pounds my 2ND n 3Rd I gained the 25-30 each..after my 3Rd I started a exercise routine and pay 80 pounds so went from 186 to 105. I guess some of my friends n family say I have an eating disorder I denied it everyday till I got pregnant again n now I see the signs n realize I do have a problem. I do know I must eat n stay healthy for baby it's just driving me nuts BC on restricted from exercise BC I almost fainted twice was to the point where my heart was racing got cold sweats blurred vision ringing in my ears n nauseous.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• If you only weigh 105 and are over 5 ft tall your family may be right, when I had my DD I was ab out 180, please eat, or see someone, you realize you may be damaging your child who asked for none of this correct?
    Pills and supplements do not feed a baby, good healthy eating does., cmon woman, you really need to ask this?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Is there anything I can do to ease my mind and from going crazy about the weight thing.

Yup.... eat healthy and relax. Stress can make you gain more weight. As RH said above... You're SUPPOSED to gain weight while pregnant!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• You need professional help, yesterday.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I'm only 4 foot 11 inches.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Keep a food journal. Write down everything you eat, and that way you can look back at the daily food list and remind yourself that you are being reasonable and healthful, or make changes if you need to. My sister had anorexia and did well with the food journal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Being anemic and not being pregnant it real risky, and can develop heart problems and such. But being pregnant with low iron can cause your baby serious birth defects of the spine or brain. Now is NOT the time to worry about gaining weight. Work it off after you have the baby.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• I had low iron with my pregnancies (to the point I needed transfusions), but I'm anemic when not pregnant. Eating iron rich foods will help, and the iron in red meat is easier for your body to absorb than iron from plant sources. You need to eat but as long as you don't overeat, there will be little weight to lose after babies. I'm 5'2" and 120 lbs. I gained between 14-22 lbs with my 5 kids and was always back to pre pregnancy weight within a couple weeks. The food journal ballad suggested sounds like a good idea!

Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2013