Okay, I did something stupid ...

I was putting some papers through my boyfriend's shredder and got the damn thing jammed up. I should have waited for him to come home and fix it, but I didn't want to deal with his pissy mood over it, so I started digging the jam out of the blades with a steak knife and a nail file. Stupid, yes, I know. Not one of my wiser moves. I got the shredder working again. The reason I know is because when the blades kicked on, I had the thing upside down in my lap, and the tips of my little finger and ring finger on my left hand got caught. Minor skin wounds, but they bled a lot. I'm typing with one hand. So my question is, how do I best clean these wounds now that they're only oozing into the Bandaids I put on my fingertips? I'm assuming those blades are filthy, with paper and ink and all. Do I need a tetanus shot? I'm kind of freaking out here, and muy daughter will be home in 25 minutes, so I need to get a grip fast. Please help me.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Health

• hydrogen peroxide is the WORST thing you can put on it!! DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean with soap and water. Have someone who can see the wounds look at them to see if you need stitches or not.

next time UNPLUG any appliance/machine before you stick a metal tool into it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• You don't need a tetanus shot. Clean them with soap and water, make sure the bandages are secure enough to apply pressure to get the bleeding to slow down a little.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I agree the blades aren't exactly clean but I don't think the risk of tetnus is very high considering it is something that is indoors and not exposed to dirt/manure.

I would clean the wound with soap and water and then put an antibiotic ointment on it and keep it covered until it stops oozing and begins to heal.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Soap and water
    Are you up to date on your tetanus vaccine?
    I doubt your shredder is harboring any diseases. *smile*

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Soap and warm water, once you get the bleeding stopped. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a tetanus shot.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Are you sure of how much you are bleeding? I think hydrogen peroxide would be enough, it isn't like the blades were rusty, clean the wounds with soap and water and wrap gause then a band-aid around them.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Soap and water. I like neospoen.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• How are you doing now?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• What's wrong with hydrogen peroxide?

It kills the good cells needed at the wound site (leukocytes) to promote wound healing. Actually does more damage then anything.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Thanks. I can deal with other people's blood just fine and know what to do, and I have. But for some reason, when it's my own blood, it freaks me the hell out.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2013