How to fix Congress

Just saw this on Facebook:

Winds of Change....

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have this message.

This is one idea that really should be passed around.

*Congressional Reform Act of 2013

1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.

Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Don't you think it's time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete.

Not really caring WHO it came from, originally, but it's a good idea on how to fix the mess we're in.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 6:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I like it!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Since I saw it on facebook, I've seen 3 other posts stemming from different people.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I like it, too. It'll be a cold day in hell before it happens, but we can always hope, I guess.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Well, if enough people vote, and fire the incumbents, it MIGHT happen.

Besides, there a town in Michigan called Hell. It freezes over every winter.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• sounds good to me...it wouldnt take much to fix Congress. but they'd fight to the death to protect the sweet little set up they've jerry-rigged for themselves.

just curious, what contracts is #7 talking about? like w/ lobbyists and campaign donaters or what?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I'm not sure, it didn't clarify.

Could be lobbyists. Maybe it means they're all fired as of 12/31/13?
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I have seen this before and have always supported it but it won't happen because those that pass thee laws are not going to do it and they are the only one with the power to do it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• "Well, if enough people vote, and fire the incumbents, it MIGHT happen."

A few years ago there was a study that said people tend to complain about OTHER congressional reps, but never about their own and that's why incumbents tend to stay in.

The big problem with the "citizen representatives" idea is that running for Congress has become too expensive a proposition and the fear has always been that you'll end up only having the rich serve.

Here's a wild idea: Perhaps it should be done by lottery instead. All citizens are eligible to serve in Congress and it's luck of the draw. Sort of like jury duty. Serve six months and you're done for life.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Or like the system in some of my favorite books: when you serve a term, ALL your possessions are either given to the poor or destroyed.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Here's a wild idea: Perhaps it should be done by lottery instead. All citizens are eligible to serve in Congress and it's luck of the draw. Sort of like jury duty. Serve six months and you're done for life.
    gdiamante Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

^^^I have wondered the same thing. If we are good enough to decide someone's fate, then why not?! I don't think we could do much worse than the idiots in charge now!

Rose- I love that post! I so wish those morons would either get it together or get out. And they don't deserve to be paid while the Govt. is shut down. They are a disgrace.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2013