Childs classmate handing out religious "tracts".....

My Ds came home today with a tract from a classmate who has badgered him in the past about not believing in god.
Now he came home with a tract that says, "are you following the crowd?" which goes on to discuss following Jesus instead of the "crowd".

I'm not sure what to do with this. I've discussed it with DS, and asked how it made him feel and what he said to this person. He was respectful and just took it.

So....does my child need to be the one who politely accepts it and doesn't say anything about his belief about there being no god??

How would you handle this?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• have you asked your school what thier policy is? Ours would not allow it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I would, and have, taken the stupid flyer and promptly deposited it in the nearest garbage can. Many people, for whatever reason, feel the need to try and shove their religion on others. I've found it's easier to just take their stuff (except JW's) and walk on by.

As for the other kid, it sounds to me like he's getting REALLY close to harassing your son. That alone would make me march to the school and demand that child leave mine alone.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I would have issues with it because this kid has bothered your son repeatedly in the past. Plus, most schools don't allow that sort of thing. I would find out school policy and then let the teacher/principle/whoever know what is going on.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I'm trying so hard to teach my DS tolerance, as this kid has harassed my DS in the past for his beliefs. I've told my DS that he needs to say, "I dont wish to discuss my personal beliefs at school." and he has done that.
    It was quiet for a while, but today he brought home the tract.
    I"m trying really hard to continue to teach my DS that tolerance for others is important, but at what point does it become we just keep our mouths shut to appease the christian majority, instead of being true to ourselves???
    I do live in the bible belt and I feel this complicates things a bit. As I have been to classroom events where there is a prayer said before a thanksgiving lunch...by a parent though-introduced by the teacher:/
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Depending on how bothered your child is by the situation, it might be time to contact his parents and ask them to make sure he leaves your kid alone. I'd probably handle it with the parents instead of the school, if possible. You don't even have to disclose your feelings about religion unless you want to. Just say your child is uncomfortable talking about matters of faith and that you expect their son to refrain from discussing religion with him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I'm not sure what the policy is about handing out religious info student to student. I never thought to ask!! I didn't think this would be an issue!
    I guess I need to investigate.
    I feel a little bad, as this kid is obviously a tool of his parents and religion. This kid doesn't have a clue what he really is doing. but that makes it even more gross to me. The parents being the string masters of their puppet, so to speak.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I'm trying so hard to teach my DS tolerance, as this kid has harassed my DS in the past for his beliefs.

You and your son have done your part. Your DS has been polite and repeatedly told this boy he doesn't want to discuss it. This is going beyond tolerance to being a doormat (ok, maybe not that far). You do have to draw a line somewhere and say enough. It is time your DS's rights were respected and his beliefs tolerated!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Thats how i feel Kmath.....sometimes I'm so afraid of being the intolerant one. and I don't want my kids to see that. But there comes a time when he should be respected too.
    I don't think it's fair that he continue to be the doormat.
    If he brought a atheist or humanist tract to this kid, I can only imagine the backlash!!
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• If he brought a atheist or humanist tract to this kid, I can only imagine the backlash!!

Exactly! He isn't allowed to express his non-belief without getting bashed for it. He has been polite and put up with more than enough.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• since its happening at school id talk to their teacher, just to see what they've seen (if anything) . you dont have to mention your beliefs, but rather explain that the pushy nature of this kid is distracting and your DS doesnt wish to engage in religious talks at school. that way its not a big complaint to the principal but you're letting them know about this early on just in case it escalates. plus, the teacher may be able to alert you to school policy without you having to be "that" mom with the principal. most Christians find tract pushers to be obnoxious so hopefully they will do something about it. plus, that way you dont have to out yourself and DS as the "big bad Atheists" that you are ;)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2013