What does it mean when a kitten lightly bites then licks everytime i pet him?

My husband found kittens at his work that someone dropped off. We have had them (2) since 2 weeks old (vet told us age) they are almost 6-7 weeks old now, but one of the kittens first when I hold him he constantly is stairing up at me then sometimes he will lightly bat one paw at my face or just touch my face with his paw and when I pet his back he will lightly bit me then right away lick me (doesn't hurt but only does it to me)

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Pets

• He loves you. That's what those little love bites are. However, it's can also be a sign that they're overstimulated. My cat does that if I get to close to the base of her tail when I'm petting her
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• He is putting his scent on you and claiming you as his "people" It is sometimes called "mouthing" If he gets too aggressive and bites harder than you like gently tap him and say no. He will get the idea after a bit to be gentler.
    Being that they are this young and separated from their mother that young it may also be a mimic of the nursing ritual. The kitten claps a bit and then the milk begins to flow. You are feeding them otherwise but the instinct is still there. The kitten is covered in your scent and you in his.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• He's loving on you!!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• He loves you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Awww... the little guy wuvs you! My kitties still do that and they're 3 years old!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Nursing was a comfort to him, so it is natural that when he is feeling comfy that he'd slip back into nursing mode. :)

Answer by Bmat at 4:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• happyAww how sweet.  As the others have said, he's trying to show he loves you.  You're like his mama :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• My fur babies do that when they are content.My best suggestion is to read the rest of the body language. Enjoy.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2013