I'm going to lose a nail. Should I remove it somehow or just let it fall off? adult content

I lost a battle with an electric paper shredder earlier this afternoon. My ring finger is pretty much okay except for perfect grooves in the fingertip that match exactly when held side by side with the blades on the shredder, but the little finger hurts like a big dog and keeps bleeding lightly off and on. The nail is split down the middle almost to the cuticle, and there's been blood around the cuticle, which didn't meet the shredder blades directly. So I'm guessing there was trauma to the cuticle when the shredder caught the corner of my nail. One side of the nail seems to be firmly intact; the other is not attached except up at the cuticle line. It's under a Bandaid now, but I'm wondering, should I try to remove the part of the nail that is pulled free or just leave it and let it fall off by itself?

Thanks, Dr Moms.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2013 in Health

• leave it on with a band-aid over it for a few days... so the soft skin underneath can toughen up and heal a bit.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• I'd leave it.
    Just try to keep it wrapped up.
    YUCK this is giving me shivers thinking about it!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• I usually clip it down as far as I can and wear a bandaid for a few days.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• Gag. I would so leave it on. Have bf trim it, clean it then bandage it and color check it daily. Black = Bad
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Clip it off..it is going to fall off eventually
    cynzbryte

Answer by cynzbryte at 11:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2013

• OUCH! I don't know if I would mess with it too much. Keep it cleaned & wrapped & get some kind of hand guard for that shredder! Geez woman, you gave me the shivers just thinking about that!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Sorry, I'll put the TMI warning on.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2013