PINK EYE ! ( WITH PIC )

On Thursday afternoon the school called and said my daughter has pink eye and I needed to come get her ... I dont remember ever having pink eye and this is the 1st time any of my kids have had it so I guess I wasnt exactly sure what pink eye is and what to do about it... The lady at the school desk told me she needed eye drops from the doctor and to not bring her to school on Friday...everyone else said to use home remedies and it will be gone by Monday. So yesterday I did actually try to get her into 2 different doctors ( pedi. and family doctor) ... but both were out of office for the day and would not call in the eye drops without being seen. So I kind of feel like I am stuck now... She has not had any discharge from her eyes, no crusty stuff nothing besides a little watery, a little itchy ( but not alot), and a little pink.... Thinking back she must of started to get it Wednesday because wednesday evening my husband asked if she poked herself in the eye, and I assumed she did, it didnt look bad or anything ... I guess my question is, does she / did she really need the eye drosp from the doctor... we got some over the counter kind for irritated eyes... She has already missed 3 days of school and I know with the cold weather coming ups he will be missing more ( she and my husband get sick very easy- compared to me and my son who hasnt even had a cold in years).... I guess I am not sure if I need to keep her home Monday and take her to the doctors or should I just let her go back to school? I read that pink eye usualkly goes away in 3-5 days and Monday would be the 5th-6th day of having it ..... here is her eyes today :

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Pink eye is highly contagious and if the school sent her home because of it, they will not let her go back until it is cleared up. I have never heard of any home remedy to clear it up that actually worked, so we always go the doctor route. Get her to the doctor Monday. Or call and see if your doctor has an after hours clinic.

She needs to see a doctor.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Well the woman at the desk said they would still be red probably for a week but she could come back after starting the eye drops ?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Once it's clear it's okay for them to go back. You should have her gently pull back the bottom lid and look at the fleshy part. If it looks red like mean meat then it's still there. If it looks like yours (assuming ou don't have pink eye) then she should be alright. I've been to an urgent care dr for pink eye and they prescribed an expensive eye drop and it didn't go away. Went to my GP on Monday when they opened and it turned out to be a sinus infection (like I suggested to the urgent care doc).

Breatmilk is supposed to be good for pink eye, as well as a home made remedy made with milk and honey.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• That should say breast milk. I don't suppose you are nursing a baby?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Well if you didn't give her the eye drops she is still contagious. Are you really going to be that parent? The one that send a sick kid when you know she is sick? Pretty crappy if you ask me.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Good gravy, autocorrect is the bain of my existence. That should read 'if it looks like RAW meat'
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• milk and honey is what i was going to try ... I just tried to look at the bottom lid and it does look normal...

I also had a friend who said the eye drops didint work for her daughter... which is another reason I was hoping not to have to go to the doctor - we have a $75 copay plus the doctor is 30 minutes away ! Which of course if she HAS to go, it is not a problem, but I just wanted to see...

I also thought it might be something else coming on, like allergies or sinuses ( today her nose sounds stuffy)...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Honestly, it looks more like allergies than pink eye.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Sleeping does have a point about it being highly contagious. Chances are your DD got it from someone else bringing it to school.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• sleepingbeautee -- no i am actually opposite of that - i keep her home alot.. which is why I am asking about this,,, I really dont know anything about the pink eye, and if she doesnt HAVE to miss school for it, then i wont keep her home, because I know she will be missing alot of other days .... The only things I have found to read about pink eye say it is over with in 3-5 days, that is why I am asking here to get other opinions and advice from parents who have had to deal with it before, since I cant get into a doctor for another 2 days
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2013