I could use some input on a paper I am writing for school.

If you have a child who is autistic, please state whether the child has mild to acute autism.
Did you breastfeed?
Did You bottle feed?
Both?
Did you notice any difficulties in feeding your child from birth to the first year?

I am sure there will be more questions but these are my initial few.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2013 in Special Needs

• My son is almost 10. He has Asperger's, on the high functioning end of Autism, since Asperger's is no longer a valid diagnosis.

He was breastfed after the damn nurses in the hospital finally let him go home with me (I'll get to that in a minute).
    I did not notice any difficulties in his eating after he came home with me.

Back to the hospital, this is going to get long, and still pisses me off, nearly 10 years later. Due to my failure to progress, my son was an emergency C-section. He had some minor problems breathing right at first so he was whisked to the Special Care Nursery and placed under an oxygen hood. Some of my first family that came to see him, saw him under the hood. By the time I was allowed in to see him, it had been removed.

continued
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Even though I had in my birth plan, and after, and TOLD every nurse/doctor that stepped foot in my room that I wanted to nurse my baby, the bitches STILL gave him bottles in the Special Care nursery and not ONE of them came and got me, or brought my baby to me to try and nurse him at night. Instead, they gave him those little 1oz bottles that drip when you turn them upside down. Because of those, he refused to nurse because he had to work for his food.

I went home after 3-4 days, HE had to stay in the hospital an extra day because he wasn't nursing as well as they wanted him to. Well, no shit. How am I supposed to feed him, and know when he's hungry, when they had him in a different part of the maternity ward than me?

Anyway, I finally brought him home, and to this day, if it doesn't come super easy to/for him, he quits and gives up before he really tries.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• It would be "input".....

just throwing that out there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• My stepson has Asperger's. I wasn't around when he was a baby, but I know he was bottle fed. He had feeding issues for many months, mostly because he would eat two ounces and refuse to take more no matter how much he was coaxed, so he didn't sleep through the night, or more than about two to three hours at a time, till he was over six months old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Acute autism, breastfed, no difficulties feeding

Moderate autism and ADHD, breastfed, no feeding difficulties

Mild/moderate autism possible ADHD, breastfed, no feeding difficulties.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Thank you to every one who has answered so far. I hope to get many more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• Mine has Aspergers. Breastfed and we had problems from about day 2, resolved at day 14. During that time he refused the breast, nearly choked to death on fast letdown and was hospitalized for a few days for jaundice. On day 14 the light went on in his head and he stayed latched virtually 24/7 for five weeks!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• My son has autism. It is moderate - he is verbal but not conversational. I breastfed him, no bottle ever. No problems feeding the first year, he ate anything I served him. The only thing I noticed is looking back be was a MUCH neater eater than my typical kids, no bib needed!

Answer by missanc at 11:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2013

• DS is mild autism, with severe sensory challenges. We tried breastfeeding, but he hated being held, so I pumped at fed him breast milk from a bottle.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2013